VII

The Volturi spent a lot of their time planning their attack, planning the moment they'd finally win. They were determined to fight this time. They wouldn't lose to the Cullen clan, not this time.

"Are you ready?" Rosalie looked at Calvin as he drove along the road.
"Not really, but it's our chance to finally stop the corruption."
"Why do they want to fight humans?"
"They're sick of hiding, convinced that humans will end us all if we come forward and open up about who we are, but most importantly, they'll lose a source of food."
"Not everyone wants to drink animal blood."
"They just like having complete control." He scoffed. "As long as we live in fear, we obey them."
"You know how they think, it's useful."
"We have to take out Aro, once he's dead they have no one to mindlessly follow." His hand gripped the steering wheel.
"And your wife?"
"Valarie can find someone, if she wants to fight me then fine."
"You're willing to kill the woman who had your son?"
He nodded his head slowly, he was willing to do it if it came down to it. He had no choice, if she was in the same situation as he once was, she'd have no choice but to obey.
"They don't look happy." He stared at the women.
"Let me explain." Rosalie looked at him as the slid out the car.
"Why is that here?"
"Calvin is a changed man." Rosalie took his hand. "The Volturi no longer wanted him."
"It's a trick."
"We need your help." Rosalie looked between them. "Alice has predicted the next move."
"Another fight?"
The couple nodded slowly, Calvin didn't speak. He knew they wouldn't want to hear what he had to say.
"How do we know we can trust him?"
"He's my mate." Rosalie stared proudly.
"He killed Emmett!"
"Tanya, I wouldn't be near him if he wasn't trustworthy."
Tanya looked at Calvin, glaring at him. He knew this would happen, he didn't expect anything less, he wasn't trusted, he had no idea how to prove it.
"Garrett." Tanya called out.
In a flash, the vampire was by her side. He looked Calvin in the eyes before taking his chance to attack and Calvin let him. He didn't fight back, he deserved it after all, Rosalie stared at the two unable to think of something.
"Stop!" She finally yelled. "He's not fighting back."
Garrett stepped back, leaving Calvin on the ground.
"If he wasn't trustworthy, don't you think he'd have fought back?"
The vampires looked at each other, clearly thinking their next moves carefully.
"We'll fight, only to stop the Volturi." Tanya nodded.

It took nothing to convince Stefan and Valdimir to join, no one even had to tell them. They knew right away, of course they wanted to fight the Volturi, this is what they waited years for. The others, took more convincing which had been expected. Once again, the Cullen household was full of vampires and wolves.
"The Volturi fight dirty." Calvin stood in front of everyone. "They will be anticipating every single move."
"Jane is the one we have to focus on first." Jasper added, stepping to join Calvin. "They'll expect her to use her power."
"She can only focus on one person at a time." Calvin added. "We need two of us to take her down, one will have to unfortunately be the line of sight."
"Aro is the next, once we take him down the fight has to stop."
"No one will be there to give commands." Calvin frowned. "I only ask that you leave my son alone."
"How do we know who he is?" Stefan chuckled. "You haven't seen the boy for many years."
"Alice knows what he looks like, she can describe him."
They turned to Alice who cleared her throat.
"I saw a glimpse of him, but with the cloaks it might be hard."
"Then we have to wait for the reveal." Jasper noted.
"That's the plan?" Garrett frowned.
"No, the plan is that Calvin pretends to snap." Jasper looked at him. "That's when he turns on the Volturi."
"I hope your acting skills are up to the task because our lives are at risk." Tanya folded her arms over her chest.

Battle preparations were difficult, constantly trying to train in between hunting and gaining the trust of Calvin wasn't easy, but they were managing.
"You think it'll be hard seeing them again?" Rosalie looked at the sky.
Calvin tried to think of an answer while he stared up at the night sky, of course it would be hard but this was his life now.
"Stupid question." She chuckled.
"No, it's not." He looked at her. "I'm just...preparing myself mentally."
"We don't have much time left." She sighed, turning her head to face him.
"It'll be okay, I'm not letting you go."
"That's not what I'm worried about."
"Talk to me."
"I lost Emmett, what if I lose you?"
"Listen, I'm not going anywhere. I'm like that annoying stray cat."
"Stray cat?" She laughed.
"You never fed a cat?"
She shook her head with a smile.
"My mom left out food for this cat that roamed the streets when I was a kid, thing was feral, untouchable. He still came back every afternoon for a plate of food though, couldn't get rid of him."
"So, what you're saying is...if I feed you, you stay?"
They both laughed, enjoying the moment of calm that took over them.
"I'm saying, I'm not leaving because I finally feel at home." He took her hand in his. "You're my home, Rose."
He kissed the back of her hand softly, making her smile widely. She was his home, that's all she needed to know. They shared a soft, slow kiss as if their world wasn't going to crash around them, like there was no danger because in that moment, he was at peace with his life.