VIII

The day they dreaded had finally arrived, they knew it wouldn't be long before the Volturi caught wind of the growing clans. Their plans had to change fast, thanks to Jane spying on the Cullen's. Once again, they found themselves on that same field as before. Ready for a fight. Calvin stood tall, waiting for the moment to arrive.
"Ready?" Rosalie stood by his side, arm wrapped around his.
"Ready." He nodded.
The trees filled with members of the Volturi, Aro leading of course. They marched towards them and Calvin stepped forward.
"Calvin." Aro smirked.
"Aro."
"We have something of yours."
"Show me."
Aro chuckled, clicked his fingers an watched his own army step aside.

The two slowly walked to the front of the line, approaching the group slowly.
"Calvin." The woman sighed happily.
"Valarie." He gulped.
Arms wrapped around his neck, taking him by surprise. She was just as he remembered her, still beautiful, her long brunette hair reached her shoulder blades, her once green eyes had that glowing red color, her skin was paler now, but she still had the same features. Her smile still managed to dazzle him. He wasn't going to falter though, he couldn't.
"This is Chester."
The boy that stood before him made him take a step back. He had his features, but his mother's smile, his hair was black, styled neatly and trimmed. There was no denying that this young man was the son he should have raised.
"We've waited a long time for this." Valarie grinned. "We can finally be a family."
Calvin had to stop himself, this wasn't him. This wasn't the life he wanted, and the new life he wanted was with Rosalie. He had to stick to the plan, he couldn't ruin this.

After a moment of silence, he did it, part of it was real, the other was just following what they agreed. He aimed for Carslile then changed his course to Aro.
"Fool." Aro laughed, grabbing him quickly. "You could have been by my side."
"I'd rather die than be at your side." Calvin chuckled.
Aro reached his hand out to Calvin's head and he waited for the embrace of death until he fell to the ground. Rosalie helped him up quickly.
"He's distracted, go."
He nodded and rushed to find Jane, she was the one he had to get first. Everyone around him had already errupted into a fight, it was hard to see over the bodies flying at each other along with the wolves launching themselves at Volturi members. As if she had known, Jane looked at Calvin with a smile. He felt the burning pain, yelling out for some form of help, he tried to contain the feeling. Every inch of his body burned, he shook slightly then it stopped. He stood up, trying to recover as Jasper stood with the blonde's head in his hand.

A scream brought Calvin out of his thoughts, he turned to Rose who was on her knees, an arm wrapped around her neck. His eyes trailed up to see the woman he once loved, she was determined to end Rosalie's life, she wanted Calvin no matter what, but he didn't want her, not anymore. He rushed over, feeling his feet crunch in the snow. Everything seemed to move slowly, he could see skin cracking on his mates face which fuled his anger, with a yell he jumped into the air and kicked Valarie to the ground. His hand grabbed at her throat, she looked up at him helplessly.
"Calvin." She grabbed at his arm.
"I'm sorry." He whispered.
"I love you."
"I loved you, not anymore." He closed his eyes tightly.
"Please." She pleaded.
"I can't."
"Look at me."
He opened his eyes, meeting her gaze. He expected something to change, anything. Even as she looked so helpless, he couldn't think of anything else but the fact she almost killed Rosalie, the woman who hated him.
"I love her." He finally spoke. "She's my home."
"What about us?"
"Val, you were great. I won't forget you." He sighed. "But, this isn't who I am anymore. I'm sorry."
He forced himself to finally do it, looking away he finally snapped her neck, pulling at the head. He dropped it to the ground, looking at Rosalie.
"Where's Chester?"
"I can't see him." Rosalie looked around.
Silently agreeing to discuss what had just occured later, Calvin looked around at the battle. Another yell cause his head to snap and through the crowd, he could see his son reaching out for him.

Aro laughed wickedly, holding the young man in his grasp. If this didn't make him snap, nothing would.
"Come get your boy."
Calvin lost it, tunnel vision completely taking over. All he could focus on was the boy that he should've raised, his son. The boy he helped create, in the arms of the monster that caused all of this, the one who took his human life from him. He wasn't letting his son go this time. Rosalie put her hand on his shoulder and squeezed.
"Go get him." She whispered.
That gave him the push he needed, a few members of the Volturi tried to grab him, but the wolves noticed and started to follow behind him, giving him the protection he needed to reach the dark haired vampire. They stood a few feet apart from one another, Aro moving his arm to show that he would take his son's life if he had to.
"All you have to do, is join me."
"You let my son go."
"Come back, be by my side." Aro smirked. "We will take over the world, humans and vampires will bow at our feet."
Calvin took a few steps forward, edging closer.
"Let me make this clear, Aro." He spoke loudly. "I will never, ever stand by your side again." With each word spoken, he stepped closer again.
"Very well." He started to pull.
The scream racked his ears, his son was begging for his father to do something, to listen to Aro. Anger took over his body, his fists clenched as he ran towards them. Aro tried to step back, tried to pull harder but Chester ripped at his arm, pulling it clean off. Aro screamed in pain, looking at his missing limb.
"It's over, Aro." Calvin laughed. "You're done."
He reached out, grabbing his head in his hands. Aro fell to his knees, smiling up at the vampire.
"I knew there was something about you."
"You know nothing." Calvin spat angrily. "You, are a true monster."
Aro just chuckled, closing his eyes. He had nothing left to say. Calvin was done, everything he had been through was enough to make this moment bliss for him. Without another word, he yanked at the head and watched the body drop into the snow. He grabbed a torch from Carslile and dropped it on the body.

Just like that, the fall of Aro had come. The battle came to a halt, no one knew what to do. Calvin dropped the head onto the burning pile.
"It's done." He looked at his son.
"What now?"
"We go home."
The Volturi members that remained, left in a hurry. They had no leader, they'd split off into their own groups and would probably kill each other off one by one. Now, there was no leader which would be a problem that could be solved later. Chester had no words, his father was finally in his life and his mother perished at his hands but he didn't know that, he hadn't seen the events of her death.

Each clan left the next day, saying their farewells, Carslile was busy helping the wolves tend to any wounds they had. Seth had broken ribs, Sam's leg had been snapped. Calvin stood on his usual branch, watching each group leave one by one.
"Chester is resting." Rosalie stood by him.
"Good, he needs it."
"Are you going to tell him?"
He shook his head slowly.
"Maybe one day."
"Did you mean it?"
He turned to look at her.
"Mean what?"
"When you said you love me."
He placed a hand on her cheek, running his thumb along her skin softly, she leaned into his hand with her eyes closed, a small smile graced her lips.
"I did." His voice was soft.
"Calvin." She sighed.
"I know, you're not ready to say it."
She opened her eyes, looking into his.
"How did you know?"
"Rose, I have spent many years alone. You spent many years with someone." He gave her a gentle smile. "It's going to take time."
He pressed his forehead against hers.
"And we have a lifetime to wait."
She smiled wider, leaning into his body. Her hands wrapped around the back of his neck.
"Will you wait that long?"
"I will wait an eternity and more."
They shared a kiss, his hands on her hips. Everything seemed to slow down, their lips moved together in sync, nothing was going to come between them.