Chapter Four

The conference room surrounded me with its plush walls and curved corners

The conference room surrounded me with its plush walls and curved corners. I sat alone in the smooth, seamless pure white room in the chair at the sole desk. The laser projector attached in the center of the ceiling was the only other object in the room.

Most households acquired such a room for work or school ever since the global virus forced us to work and study from home. By tuning the right settings, my surroundings instantly transformed to give the illusion of being in the classroom with my classmates and the instructor. If invited, those in the conference would appear in the same virtual space.

When in class, Rima always sat to my right next to her friend who insisted on taking the spot near the window. And although the windows, bookcases, and even the texture on the walls were computer-generated, everyone intermingled as if we were in the same space, viewing and interacting with the same things. We could speak to one another, follow the instructors lesson in real time, and work as if we all were breathing similar air but from the safety of our own homes.

Anything in the room would be projected into the main space for others to see. The main reason I keep the room spotless and empty besides my desk, chair, and computer.

Austin's favorite spot was in the front row next to the instructor. Straight As wasn't unusual with his completed assignments, and he was rarely ever late turning in his work.

The instructor paced back and forth before a hologram of numbers, letters, and computer code. Although us misfits were outspoken amongst the three of us, Rima and Austin kept their eyes on their work and frequently took notes. They never messed around in class or wasted time on anything other than school assignments.

And unless Austin and I had an itch we needed to scratch, we would use the room to ease that scratch privately after Dad was in bed and the loneliness crept in.

Immediately after the hour-long class, Rima, Austin, and I remained seated, switching out of the classroom setting to an outdoor café. We opted to sit opposite each other at a rounded wooden table under a large black umbrella with the midday sun beaming on the simulations of happy, bustling patrons.

"So, when are we gonna meet him?" Rima placed a pair of large sunglasses on, her chestnut-colored skin seemed to glow from the surrounding light. "This Xander?"

"I wanted you guys to meet him, like now, but he's being weird about it." I shrugged at the thought of why.

"He's not a social bot." Austin's Hispanic accent always pulled me in and had an allure that made me focus on whatever exited his mouth. "I mean, who's seriously social nowadays?" He ran his hands through his tight curls for them to just bounce back to their original position. "I'm honestly surprised we all haven't melded to our chairs or grown roots yet."

"No, shit?" Rima lowered her shades so we could see the emphasis in her dark brown eyes. "I mean it's been years since they ordered everyone to stop going to outside. We can't even go to grocery stores or gyms, and we gotta stay away from each other. You just watch how fast our mental and emotional health declines. I mean, can't we die without sunshine?"