Chapter Thirteen

After staying at Downton for a little over a week, Darrel and Tobias had to return to London

    After staying at Downton for a little over a week, Darrel and Tobias had to return to London. While Darrel wished that she could stay longer, she had an event to attend the following evening. It would have been too hard to coordinate returning to London and going to the event the same day. Meanwhile, Tobias was more than eager to return to London. He did enjoy his time at Downton and got along well with Darrel's brothers-in-law. However, he could tell that Lord and Lady Grantham were not fans of his, and Tobias looked forward to dropping the facade that he was in love with Darrel.

    "When are you coming back?" Thomas Barrow groaned in the luggage room, as Allen made sure that nothing was left behind.
    "Well, it is not up to me. It is up to Her Highness," Allen reminded.
    "Then convince her to come back to Downton soon. I have not seen you in almost four months, and when you finally return, it's for a measly week. I thought that you loved me more than that."
    Allen laughed. He enjoyed watching how whiney Thomas became every time he had to return to London. While it was a hard time for both of them, it was one of the only times he witnessed Thomas' emotional side.
    "Do you promise to come back soon?" Thomas inquired.
    "I would love to make such a promise, but I cannot," Allen replied, taking the butler's hands in his.
    "But I miss you."
    "I miss you too. And if this were an ideal world, we would never have to part. But unfortunately, my job is in London, and my travelling depends on Her Highness' schedule."
    "I will write Lady Darrel a letter and order her to come back to Downton as soon as possible."
    "You want to order around the Princess of Wales?" Allen smirked. "Good luck with that."
    Thomas rolled his eyes.
    "I will be back, Thomas," Allen assured. "I promise."
    "Good," he nodded. "I love you."
    "I love you too."
    Allen pulled Thomas in for a hug. They pulled apart quickly when they heard footsteps approaching. The door to the luggage room opened and Sydney entered.
    "Is everything all right?" Allen asked.
    "Yes," Sydney nodded. "But we have to leave soon if we are to catch the train back to London. Did Her Highness leave anything behind?"
    "No, the maids seem to have remembered everything. I am coming down now."
    "Good."
    Sydney nodded to them then headed out of the room. Allen gave Thomas a quick kiss on the cheek then left the luggage room.

    A few minutes later, Darrel and Tobias were outside of the house, watching the footmen load their luggage onto the back of the car.
    "I hope you return soon," Cora said, hugging her daughter.
    "I will, Mama," Darrel replied. "As soon as my schedule allows it."
    "I am glad to hear it. Downton is not the same without you."
    "Yes, it is much more peaceful," Mary teased, causing Edith, Henry and Bertie to laugh.
    "But imagine how boring your life would be if I did not come home," Darrel smirked.
    "I am not sure if I would complain at the dullness."
    Darrel rolled her eyes.
    "Thank you for having me, Lord and Lady Grantham," Tobias bowed. "I enjoyed my stay at Downton."
    "I am glad to hear that, Dankworth," Robert nodded.
    "And you are welcome to stay anytime, Your Lordship," Cora added.
    "Thank you, I appreciate it," Tobias replied.
    Darrel said goodbye to the others, then she and Tobias got into Tom's car. Meanwhile, the guards climbed into the car that had the luggage. The cars disappeared down the drive, and the family began to disperse.