Chapter Sixteen

That evening, Darrel had her fourth annual Birthday Ball

That evening, Darrel had her fourth annual Birthday Ball. While the previous ball had been a low-key affair, Their Majesties insisted on having a large ball for her nineteenth birthday. They wanted it to draw attention away from her former engagement with Sebastian. And to redirect the public's attention to her relationship with Tobias.
    Darrel stood in front of the mirror as Lily finished getting her ready. She wore a long blue dress, with a bit of lace in the back, and silver beads down the front in a floral design. It matched the diamond tiara on her head, which shone due to the reflection in the mirror. Lily walked around the princess one last time and smiled in approval.
    "I believe that you are ready, Your Highness," Lily declared.
    "Or as ready as I shall ever be," Darrel sighed. She always hated her Birthday Balls; with all the noblemen and women staring at her.
    "If you wish you put it that way, ma'am. Although I must say, that you look exquisite."
    "Well, that is all due to you. Thank you, Lily."
    "Of course, ma'am."
    Lily bobbed a curtsy as Darrel grabbed her gloves and left the room.

    Darrel headed downstairs and entered a drawing room that had access to a staircase in the ballroom. Their Majesties, David, and Tobias Dankworth were already there.
    "Your Majesties," Darrel curtsied.
    "Ah, you look very presentable this evening, Elizabeth," Queen Mary of Teck commented. Which might have been one of the nicest things she'd ever said to the Princess.
    "Thank you, ma'am."
    Tobias went over to Darrel and kissed her cheek, "Happy birthday, Elizabeth."
    Darrel nodded in response. She was pleased that Tobias seemed to be doing well with addressing her less formally to convince people that they were in love. However, she could not help but remember that this would be her first ball without Sebastian by her side. She had no idea how she would get through the evening without Sebastian whispering sarcastic comments to her all night. Tobias was a polite man, and unlike Sebastian, he did not make fun of the noblemen behind their backs. It made him a nice person in general, but a dull companion at a ball.
    "Yes, happy birthday, Elizabeth. You look very royal," King George V nodded.
    "Thank you, sir," Darrel nodded.
    "Now, we should begin soon. Everyone, get to your positions."
    The King and Queen headed to the door that would lead them to the ballroom. His Majesty offered his wife his arm, which she took. As the heir to the throne, Darrel stood further behind them, with David behind her. Not knowing what to do, Tobias stood behind the Duke of York, assuming that they were to line up according to rank.
    "What are you doing?" David hissed, trying to spare Tobias from a lecture from Their Majesties. "You have to stand by Elizabeth."
    "Really?" Tobias inquired. "I thought this was in the order of rank."
    "But you are accompanying the Princess of Wales to the ball. Now, hurry up before my parents notice."
    Tobias nodded and scurried to stand by Darrel. She turned around to glare at David, unimpressed by the way he spoke to Tobias. However, David simply shrugged; Darrel's glares no longer affected him.
    "Happy birthday," David whispered instead of offering an apology.
    "Thank you," Darrel replied.
    "You do look excellent tonight."
    Darrel smiled, knowing that, unlike Their Majesties, David meant what he said. She heard the roar of the horns, meaning that the doors were about to open. Darrel turned to Tobias, who looked rather nervous.
    "Do not worry," Darrel assured.
    "There seem to be an awful lot of people here tonight," Tobias commented.
    "I know. But we shall stay by each other's sides the whole night. Now, give me your arm."
    "Oh...of course."
    Darrel took hold of Tobias' arm as the doors opened.
    "Their Royal Majesties King George the Fifth and Queen Mary of Teck. Her Royal Highness the Princess of Wales. His Royal Highness the Duke of York, and Lord Tobias Dankworth," a footman announced.