Thirteen: Out Of The Woods

"I should have expected this." Artemis said, holding her head in her hands. "I should have seen this coming."

"I am sorry..."

"Oh, you're sorry!" She snapped, "Sorry! Well that makes it all better then, doesn't it? I'm not sure why I'm even angry, because you've said you're sorry."

"You are angry?" Moridaì asked, shrinking back a little.

Artemis glared at them. "Am I- Yes I'm angry! Obviously I'm angry! Why would I not be angry?"

"Art, calm down." Quinn said, getting in between the two and doing his best to keep her from becoming any more enraged. "Give them a chance to explain, maybe there's a reason why-"

"No, we are not doing this again. You are not giving them any chances to back out of this one."

"Artemis, please. I promise I have regretted it ever since. That is part of why I wanted to help you; to fix my own mistakes."

"How am I supposed to believe anything you say?" Artemis asked them, "You're just like the rest of them. You say you're helping, but cause the problem you're trying to fix. You caused all of this. This is your fault."

Moridaì didn't attempt to argue any further, mostly because they were unable to, now their eyes had begun to completely cloud with tears. They ran- or rather, disappeared- off into the forest, vanishing from sight before Quinn could call out an apology.

"Artemis, what is wrong with you?" He cried. "I thought we were finally moving past all this. You won't even let them try to explain themself now?"

"Why should I? They're responsible for reopening the Void, what is there to explain?"

"Maybe if you listened to other people for once in your life you would know! They said they regret doing it, and they want to make up for their mistakes. What more do you want from them?" He paused for a moment to take a breath, "We can't all be as perfect as you are."

"What exactly is that supposed to mean?"

"I don't suppose you've ever done something you regretted? Something you wanted to fix, even though you caused the problem? No, of course not, because Artemis doesn't cause problems! You never do anything wrong! It's always someone else's fault isn't it? Nothing is ever good enough for you! I'm never good enough for you!"

There was a silence, where Quinn caught his breath wondering why he'd said any of that out loud, and Artemis looked at him, stunned.

"It wouldn't be so bad..." Quinn continued, quieter, and crying a little. "...But I like you, Art. I like talking to you. I like spending time with you. And then you go and do something like this and I don't know what to think anymore."

"Look, Quinn, I get it-"

"No, you don't. You don't know what it's like to have the only person who's ever really liked you back disappear for six years: not talking, or visiting or letting you help them. I missed you, Art. I lo-"

He stopped when he noticed Artemis' expression, a strange combination of confusion and guilt, realising too late how he'd been rambling for far too long.

"I'm sorry." He said, embarrassed, "I should stop-"

"No." Artemis told him, "If you hold all this in much longer, it'll only get worse. Keep going."

He hesitated for a moment, wondering if it would be better for him to run into the woods, but he nodded instead, and did as he'd been asked.

"Violet felt it first. She'd have these... these thoughts and feelings, and it was confusing at first. Not bad. Not even particularly scary. Just... new. I think she might've liked those feelings honestly; wanted to see you more so she could feel it more often.