Fourteen: Home Before Dark

Lord Cassion arrived back at his palace in a pleasant mood. While his visit with the princess hadn't gone perfectly to plan, he would be lying if he said he hadn't enjoyed it a little. Twelve years, was it now? Yet after all that time, capable as she was with a sword, she was still a cowering child.

Well, no, that wasn't entirely true. In fact, Cassion was a little impressed by her. She was brave enough at least to talk back to him, something very rare nowadays. Something else she inherited from her mother, probably...

He strolled out into the palace courtyard, pleased to see that the snow and wind had slowed to a halt. It had been heavily snowing recently though, if the tops of the walls were much to go by. Though Arctis had been a wonderful choice of home for its remoteness, the weather was significantly less enjoyable.

Sat in front of the fountain- which currently resembled more of an ice sculpture- was Dante. He looked exhausted, probably due in no small part to the fact that the twins hadn't stopped racing around the courtyard, trying to catch each other. He spotted Cassion approaching and immediately brightened up.

"Sir!" He said, "You are back!"

Azriel looked up towards the source of the conversation and- due to him being distracted- was immediately tackled by his sister. The two of them climbed up off the floor and stood to attention.

"What can we do for you sir?" They asked in unison.

"Please, why so formal, all of you?" Cassion laughed, motioning for them to sit down on the fountain edge. "We are not at work, are we?" He perched himself on the edge of the fountain next to Azriel. "How are we all?"

"Eclipsà is quite literally buzzing..." Dante said. Cassion raised an eyebrow at his daughter and she grinned up at him, legs swinging back and forth.

"Because I helped to split them up!" She explained.

"I have reminded her that the Princess did most of the work in that regard."

"Yes, but I helped!"

"We helped." Azriel snapped.

"It was my idea."

"Oh yeah? Well, whose idea was it for us to target Moridaì?" He asked smugly. "I have not heard you praise that idea, and yet you seemed to enjoy executing it."

"It did not benefit the mission in any way." Eclipsà said, folding her arms indignantly.

"No, but it was fun."

"Alright yes, it was quite fun."

"I did not think it was that fun..." Dante admitted, successfully distracting the twins from bickering with each other by having them yell incoherently at him instead. The three of them were so focused on arguing with each other, that none of them noticed their father silently slip behind them and feign the angriest expression he could.

"Are you three going to bicker like this all day?" He asked, his voice echoing around the courtyard walls.

"N-No, of course not sir!" Azriel said, spinning around and leaping to his feet in order to bow in apology. Eclipsà swiftly followed suit, while Dante remained seated. He knew exactly what his father was like when he was genuinely angry with him, and it sure didn't involve the "calm rage" he used while at work.

Cassion laughed, "Calm yourselves, I was merely jesting. Though I would appreciate it if you were to refrain from continuing your argument."

The twins laughed with him, far more amused than embarrassed.

"Listen to you; all that stammering." Eclipsà mocked, "You know who you sound like?"

Cassion rested a hand on her shoulder. "Speaking of changing the subject, I would like to congratulate the three of you on your work today." He sighed, "A shame I was too occupied to watch..."