Chapter 18: Spiteful

6 years later:

Amelia never thought she was a spiteful person. She was hostile to her father because he deserved it after the pain he has inflicted on her mother.

Her father was happy, Emma gave him three sons Nicholas Junior, Neville and William. Amelia rather wished Emma would ignore her sisters once she had her own children, but she didn't. Emma loved everyone equally, giving so much attention to each, they were one large happy family except for her.

She was surrounded by people all the time, but she felt lonely. She had turned four and twenty; a spinster no one wanted.

Everyone was on her father's side, she lost her path and herself. She no longer knew who she was angry with or why, and lashed out at almost everyone.

The only person who reminded Amelia who she was, was Nicholas Junior. Being the extremely cute and adamant baby who followed her everywhere like a shadow, he was hard to push away. An extremely talkative shadow at that.

"Amicoos!" shouted Nicholas Junior, as he waddled into her room; he was five and has taken upon himself to never let Amelia feel lonely.

"Pey widh me," prattled Jr.

"What do you want to play?"

"Qeeto"

"Fine! Tell me when you are ready. Mosquito will come to bite you."

He giggled and hid inside the blanket, "Weady."

Amelia buzzed like a mosquito and moved around, she could hear him already giggling under the blanket.

"I see a leg," tickling his legs, she said, "Yum tasty!"

He squealed and dived deeper.

"Mmm! Here is a tasty tummy," she said with tickles followed by gales of laughter.

They spent most afternoons playing silly games, reading books, and quizzing sums. He could write and do math. Who would have imagined a five-year-old doing mental maths!

Amelia went down for breakfast, only to find the whole house in pandemonium. Maids were running around cleaning every inch of the castle, while footmen were decorating the whole house. Emma was standing in the middle issuing commands like a general in the battlefield, her pregnant belly protruding.

"Why is the house in uproar?" Amelia asked Mrs. Dennis, their headmaid.

"Mr. Walker and his family are coming for dinner today," said Dennis, not halting her steps. Amelia nodded and walked to the dining hall, feeling a dull ache in her heart.

Amelia knew Mr. Walker was courting Amanda. But she didn't know things were getting serious. She didn't even know his first name, why didn't Amanda tell her? Did Amanda and Amy not love her anymore?

She filled her plate, but her throat was so tight. She could hardly swallow.

Amanda came in, holding Emma's hand followed by Nicholas Advent. The latter seemed to be arguing with Emma.

"Sit down, mama," said Amanda, forcing Emma into the chair. She filled a plate with Emma's favourites and placed it in front of her.

"Eat," she commanded.

"There is so much work Amanda, I don't have time-" reasoned Emma.

"You are not going anywhere unless you eat," scolded Nicholas.

"Fine! fine!" Emma groaned and started stuffing the food hastily.

"Slowly, you are going to choke!" said Nicholas, handing her a glass of water.

Emma was in hysterics, "Nicholas! We haven't decided on the menu yet, the silver needs polishing, and we haven't used the formal dining room for a long time! The chair in the sitting room is creaking!"

Nicholas pinched her lip, stopping the stream of complaints. "We both will help you. Just tell us what to do."

"Amanda shouldn't do any work, I don't want her to get tired."

"Mama, you ought not to be on your feet for long too," Amanda protested.

"I will help," Amelia volunteered. Everyone stopped what they were doing and looked at Amelia like she was an Indian elephant walking past them.

Emma recovered first and said "Thank you, Lady Amelia," as happy tears ran down her cheeks. It took little to set off Emma lately, she wept for every little damn thing.

"No need to thank me, Amanda is my sister."

Emma smiled and started gobbling her food.

"Thanks, Amelia. Thanks for talking to us. Thanks for deciding to be a part of my happiness. I thought I lost my sister forever," said Amanda; she too was misty-eyed as she hugged Amelia.

"I never stopped talking to you," said Amelia defensively. But she knew she had been avoiding them all. Amanda and Amy became very defensive when she criticised Emma and that had made her angry with them.

"Tell me about Mr. Walker, I thought you both didn't get along. Didn't he push you in a puddle once?" said Amelia, changing the topic.

Amanda smiled, "Yes, he did. More than once. I thought I hated him, Jasper did too. But -"

"-but you both were just wrong about your true feelings," Amelia finished her sentence.

Amanda smiled, Amelia couldn't help but notice how Amanda's eyes turned dreamy when she spoke of Mr. Jasper Walker, how she couldn't stop smiling. Amelia could see her sister was totally in love.

It turned out, there wasn't much work to do. Amanda talked non-stop telling every detail of her love life. Amelia tried not to envy, but it was getting hard. Amelia was happy for Amanda. She wasn't jealous or resentful but longed to have what her sister had.

By noon, things crossed Amelia's threshold. She couldn't breathe, every place inside the house made her suffocate. She walked to the Hyde Park. Selecting a lonely spot she sat down; the tears she has held all along, spilt. She reached for her kerchief inside her pocket only to notice it wasn't hers; it was Antony's.

"Fool!" she scolded, not sure who she was referring to.

The rustling and breaking of twigs behind her told her she was no longer alone, she looked up and screamed in terror.