Chapter 24: Scum

Amelia was alone for most of the day, she was bored to death. Antony had called a truce as both were left with nothing to wear for a couple of days.

She missed Nicholas Jr dearly, but was too proud to go back to the Advents to visit him. She didn't want to see her father.

"Amicoos!" Jr shouted.

Amelia thought she was hearing things. How could Junior come here? Then a small figure tackled her to the ground. She lost her footing as Junior jumped onto her following a run.

"Nicho! How did you get here?"

"Uncle Bennet brought me here."

"I am not your uncle, Junior. Call me Antony," came Antony's voice as he entered the house.

Amelia tried to scowl, or look annoyed but she failed. She was excited to see Junior.

"I have some errands to run, I will be back by evening."

Amelia had a really good time playing with Nicho.

"I miss you Amicoos, will you visit me?" said Nicho when it was time to leave.

Amelia's throat constricted, when had this little one learned so many big words.

"I will."

Within a few seconds from Junior's departure, an eerie silence fell upon the house.

"Why did you bring him today? Are you trying to get into my good books?" Amelia demanded Antony once they were alone.

"I don't want to come home everyday to find it turned upside down. So to answer your question, ya! Something like that."

Amelia scowled, but she was happy. That night they had dinner together for the first time, both did not speak. It was not awkward silence but a companionable one.

Amelia soon found things to occupy her during the long, lonely hours. She visited Nicho at noon, Antony didn't own a carriage, so some days she hired carriages but mostly preferred to walk alone.

Nicho now had a new governess, Mrs. Beth. She became Amelia's friend. Her son was Nicho's age and was very humble and mature for his age.

Amelia woke up and smiled seeing hot milk placed on the nightstand. She had to thank her cook. The milk was warm, with honey, a dash of turmeric and some spices.

Antony walked out of the bathroom; he bathes and dresses inside the bathroom itself. Amelia thanked the heavens for the small favours. She thought her heart wouldn't handle watching Antony in a towel.

Amelia knew she found Antony's form pleasing. He no longer had the dead look in his eyes. He now looked more like the rugged, handsome man he once was. Amelia scowled at herself as Antony arched a single brow after he caught her staring at him.

"A penny for your thought."

"I already told you. It will cost you more than a penny."

Antony chuckled before bidding her farewell. Amelia looked at her hands in alarm, was she smiling and waving at him?

She no longer burned with the desire to hurt her father. Her vengeance had dampened. After giving it some thought, Amelia decided she now needed a healthy dose of reminders of all the hateful things her father did to her mother, Elana. She decided to visit her grandparents' house.

"I am sorry, Miss. Amelia. But your grandparents don't want to take in any visitors," said the butler.

Amelia scowled, "I am Mrs. Bennet now. Should I remind you that I am no visitor and this is my grandparents' house?"

"I am sorry, but I am only doing my duty."

Amelia saw someone move inside, "Grandmama," she shouted.

Her grandmother came into view.

"Your insolent butler wont let me in!"

Her grandmother tried but failed to look happy. She looked at her nervously.

"Amelia dear, I think it's not a good time for you to visit. Why don't I come calling tomorrow to your house?"

Amelia's face fell, "Is everything alright, grandmama?"

Before her grandmother could answer, she was joined by yet another scowling figure.

"Grandpa!"

"What do you want? Why are you here? Can't you let a man die in peace? First your mother, now it's you!"

"What do you mean first my mother? Please don't insult her, she is your daughter."

"Daughter!" her grandfather scoffed. "I wish she was dead. I wish I never gave birth to a cheating scum."

"She is dead, what more do you want from her?"

"Dead! Dead people are supposed to remain dead. Not roam around trying to see the people they abandoned."

"What do you mean?"

"He is unwell, Amelia. Why don't you leave? I will contact you once he settles down," said her grandmother hurriedly.

"I am not unwell. Are you planning to lie to her as well? Your mother ran away with a scum after getting caught cheating on Lord Nicholas. He let her live, even helped her escape. If it were me I would have killed her long before. Now, the cheating scum wants my help to take Amy with her."

"You are lying, she loved my father. He hated her!"

"And for good reason, too. If anything, you should all worship the man for raising someone else's daughter like his own. I now understand why he cut off from us. How can I even begin to apologise to him for giving birth to a slut."

"My mother is alive?"

"The selfish brat is alive, she wants to do nothing with you or Amanda. She just wants to take Amy with her as she couldn't have any children with that scum."