one ; the boy who never speaks.

Chapter 57 | The Boy Who Never Speaks

when i was seventeen, i wrote my first novel.

"the boy who never speaks."

it was a romance novel set in a highschool setting about a boy whose lips were sealed closed due to a curse. the boy never speaks as his mouth was forced close for all the years he lived, hence the title.

he then meets a girl.

you could already guess the next part.

they slowly fell in love.

the boy could never communicate verbally how he felt, albeit the girl understood him well. they were madly in love after all.

words could never explain the love they had.

although, naturally, words are what impacts a relationship the most.

the boy wishes everyday that he could speak—even for one minute—just to tell her three words.

three words that could last a lifetime.

i.

love.

you.

of course, the curse was never lifted. the universe works funnily, but never stupidly.

the universe is funny.

as one day his wish was granted. after all the days he spent wishing everyday that he would be able to speak, it was granted.

except, the girl had passed away.

in a road accident. and he was there.

he desperately tried to yell and warn her, running all his might to push her aside.

but no word left his lips, and no fingertips had grazed her arm.

his wish wouldn't be granted until she was brought to the hospital, dead upon arrival.

"i love you." his voice croaked and cracked. her hand was always warm when she intertwined them with his. but today, her hand felt cold in his embrace.

"i love you." 

i would like to shamelessly say that the story was inspired by my own.

at seventeen, i wrote my first novel that was inspired from a one-sided love that dates back since i was ten.

"jihoon," seha's voice was always endearing. it was one of the many qualities she has that i always loved. true enough, i love everything about her. "you know i can't." she said, in a mere whisper. 

i am aware. "how about you? do you love him?"

"i do." it scared me how genuine her words felt. words shouldn't carry that pure of sincerity. it was too much for me to bear. "i love him. very much."

i love you, too. very much.

"sorry for putting you in an awkward position," i ruffled her hair. just like how i used to. "i don't expect anything. i just wanted to tell you how i felt. i don't want it to affect our friendship. i'll still be here for you, infinity and beyond. just like our promise."

for the final time, like the boy, my lips remained sealed.

the difference was, his was a fantasy type of curse, and mine was a curse of a coward.

a boy stood in the front of the pedestrian crossing by himself. the lights were still red and there were vehicles passing by quickly and easily. his face was distant. he was lost in thought. lost in thought and in the world where he could have seha. if only that world existed. his wired earphones were plugged in his ears, muffling everything else around him.

"seha!" he was startled out of consciousness with a distressed yell coming from behind him. a yell that was loud enough to not be drowned in his full-volumed music was probably worrisome. 

seha.

the name rolled out of his tongue as he felt a push on his sides. a girl, a small child, pushed past him and ran towards the road.

he heard another woman's cry, "seha! come back here!"

the child, whose name was seha wearing a pink dress and pigtails, ran to the middle of the road until she tripped and fell to the ground. she stayed on the ground. jihoon looked at the lights. a blinding red. he removed his earphones.

he looked around him. no one was going forward. nor did anyone seem alarmed that a child was on the road. a road and a child. for goodness sake, where was humanity?

"come here," he gestured to the child to come closer. he took panicked glances to the road. other than the constant beeping and vehicles that were zooming past them— nothing that would send him to death. yet.

it happened too fast. seha, the child, jumped to his arms after a moment of hesitation. 

and a white flash came breezing through his direction. he was able to push the girl aside. to push the little seha aside.

but, it was too late to push himself. 

the white headlights came crashing to him.

the universe sure was probably having the greatest laugh.

PARK JIHOON
TIME OF DEATH 7:08 P.M.

TO BE CONTINUED.

STORY AND ART BY DAISY

Top Comments >

junkyu_lover12692 yas only yeonjun should get the girl
3 seconds ago.

s****09 Nooooooo i was rooting sm for jihoon!!!!!
16 minutes ago.
     └godyedam_ same :( second lead syndrome smh
        └shihosahi777 No

stantreasurestreamjikjin dropping this,, i only read cuz i heard jihoon looked like jino and jihoon is dead ??
1 minute ago.

d*****i team yeonjun till the day i die
9 minutes ago.