Chapter 91

Much to the surprise of her companions, Corvina brought her horse to a stop several blocks away from the church and dismounted.

"What are you doing?" asked Agis. "The compass is still pointing towards the church, isn't it?"

"Yes," said Corvina. "But we don't have time to explain ourselves to the clerics, and we have no idea how many of them might be on Eva's side. We're going to have to sneak in."

Rain shrugged. "Fine by me," they said, slipping off their horse.

"You know a lot of secret ways to get into the church, right?" Corvina asked Agis.

Agis looked back and forth from Corvina to Rain and back again. Then he sighed. "Agh, fine, but all the routes I know would take us over rooftops. I assume the assassin will be able to keep up, but can you climb over rooftops, Lady?"

"I wore trousers today," said Corvina. "I'll be fine."

Truthfully Corvina did have a bit of trouble keeping up with the other two as they scrambled up to and across the roofs of Longren. The way Agis and Rain leapt and dashed made it seem like their bodies weighed nothing. Corvina was slow and clumsy in comparison.

But only in comparison. Corvina wasn't unathletic, and although she wasn't trained in this particular style of movement, she was a trained fighter. It took considerable effort, but she wasn't left behind.

That is, until the final leap to get to the church itself.

The alleyway between the roof of the inn (where Corvina was standing) and the stone wall of the church (where she needed to be) was at least twenty feet across, if it was anything. Admittedly, the wall was much lower than the roof, which would probably make it easier to cover the distance, but still...

And yet, somehow, Agis and Rain had been able to clear the gap with ease and grace. It was practically inhuman.

But Corvina was very certain that she herself was human. With normal human limitations.

Well... to be fair, Agis actually was inhuman, being an elf. And Corvina wasn't sure about Rain.

"Come on Corvina! You can do it!" Agis was attempting to whisper-scream at her from the other side of the yawning abyss.

"Is there no other way around?" asked Corvina, similarly attempting to be both loud and quiet at the same time. "Isn't there a tree somewhere where I could climb across its branches to the other side, or something like that?"

Agis shook his head. "I'm afraid this is the only access point."

Corvina had no choice then.

She backed up, and took a deep breath, and said a small prayer to the Goddess.

Coris, if you're there, and if you're real, don't you dare let me fall.

She ran and she leapt.

As soon as she was in the air she could tell she wasn't going to make it. Her trajectory was off. She was going to smack directly into the wall. She would be lucky if she got away with a few broken legs and a major concussion. And Anne would be lost to her forever...

Then, at the last moment, she felt her body grow suddenly lighter, and a breeze pushing her from behind buoyed her upwards, carrying her farther than she should have been able to go.

She landed lightly on the top of the wall, fully upright, feeling refreshed, as though her stamina had been restored.

Corvina briefly wondered if she had just been the recipient of a true miracle.

Then she saw Rain.

Their hand was outstretched and they looked exhausted.

"Thank you," said Corvina.