Chapter 4

Chapter 4: Respect

           Following Wallace, Louis was surprised by the unintentional tour that he was given. Outside of the luxurious room where he found himself regaining consciousness, there were more things that this place has to offer.

The palace of the demon emperor has been never described in the story. Supposedly in a cliche slaying the demon lord fantasy story, it was the hero and his party that would arrive in the lair of the demon lord and defeats him. In the End Hero, it wasn't the case.

The Demon Emperor is the one that would approach the hero and his party. In the final battle, it wasn't just the hero and his party versus the Demon Emperor and his minions, but it was an all-out full-scale war.

Humans and their Allies against the Demon Empire. In the end, it was a pyrrhic victory — deserving to be truly called a tragedy dark high fantasy story.

The location of the final battle wasn't the Demon Empire but the central continent. So it was natural for him to be amazed by the sight of the palace before him.

Even on Earth, he hasn't visited any gothic-style castles or palaces. Louis has only seen them in images or on television.

It was a sight to behold. But as deserving of its reputation, other than being imposing and majestic, it was a grim structure that deserves to be called the lair of the Demon Emperor.

While walking, Louis notices the absence of the servants within the palace. Since it was a palace, there should be a lot of servants that serves the Demon Emperor? But it wasn't the case as Louis has observed the lack of presence of life within the halls and the rooms. They didn't encounter any servants which have against his expectations.

He wanted to ask Wallace about this matter. But he didn't feel comfortable and was certain that he have a very low impression and favorability towards his half-brother.

Just calling Wallace his half-brother inside his mind was making him uncomfortable. But since he decided to become Louis and adapt to his life, then he must get used to this situation.

Eventually, they arrived in another room in the Palace. There was finally the presence of life in this room. Currently, 5 people are present except him and Wallace.

At first glance even with their humanoid appearance, Louis could instantly tell that they aren't human. Their appearance is further proof that this is real and he wasn't dreaming. Louis could hear, see and feel around him.

As Wallace and he entered the room, the 5 people immediately bowed themselves on their knees.

"Your highness, Prince Wallace. ""

Louis felt slightly surprised by their greetings. But he immediately reasoned inside his head, that he should get used to it. He also noticed that they didn't greet him and it was obvious that they didn't respect him but only Wallace which was reasonable.

Wallace said earlier that only the strong could have freedom. Then, it must be also the case for others. If he wanted the respect of these people, then he must become strong and gain the approval of the emperor.

None of those things have been fulfilled by him yet.

Wallace then inclined his head and the people have removed themselves kneeling from on the floor. He then stared at one of the people.

" Avro. "

Louis glance at Avro. Compared to the other 4 unknown people, his looks are much closer than the humans. There is no inhuman bluish or reddish skin coloring, no horns, tails, or scales on him. The only thing inhuman about him was the strange marks on his skin and his weird patterned eyes. There was also the expressionless and indecipherable look on his face.

" Yes, your highness? "

There is no high or low pitch on the tone of his face. It was so monotone.

While Louis was observing them, Wallace then pointed at him.

" Tend to him and his injuries. "

Avro nodded his head slightly and stared at Louis. The gaze was uncomfortable but there was no trace of hostility or disgust on them. His intentions are unreadable.

" His body is full of wounds, bruises, and scars, it would take a while, Prince Wallace. Are you willing to wait until I cured him with my potions? "

Wallace nodded his head and decided to sit at one of the tables. He then gestured and have the other 4 servants pay attention to their businesses.

" Then, I shall take him to my potion workshop, your highness. "

After that, Louis was then taken to a room inside a room. Louis followed Avro toward his potion workshop despite feeling uncomfortable. He reasoned to himself that he wouldn't be killed by this guy since there are no current reasons to kill him.

Other than worrying about possible harm, he also remembered some information from the novel. Demons aren't capable of using healing or light magic. So, instead of using magic to heal or cure any of their problems, there was alchemy and potions to provide the solution.

Inside Avro's workshop, if he would compare it to something, it was like he entered some chemist's lab. The pungent smell of herbs and unknown scents invaded his senses. There was also a shelf filled with potions and labeled with an alphabet that he can't read. Louis was certain that not being able to read the demon empire's language would be a pain in the ass.

While Avro was starting to browse over the potions inside his workshop, Louis got worried if he needed to drink a lot of them so that the original injuries would heal.

Inside the workshop, Louis was surprised to see a mirror. He then walks toward it so he can observe what Louis looks like.

Black hair, light blue eyes, and normal human-colored skin. His neck is wrapped in some kind of gauze along with his arms and feet and Louis was certain that there was also a gauze wrapped into his stomach. He nearly looks like a mummy man.

Louis frowned when he saw the bruises on the Original's face. This is so horrible. Just what the hell did the original experience? He has only just recently discovered that Louis was a slave. No wonder it was mentioned in the End Hero that he hates humans.

Louis also hated those slave traders. But he couldn't possibly hate all of the humans just because of them. There was the hero that would suffer horribly in the future along with his companions – How could he hate those group of people that would prevent the destruction of this world?