6

TW: Mentions of medications/pills.

"George! I have great news for you." My mother said as she burst into my room.

"Mom- it's 4:00 in the morning, and please knock before you come into my room." I groaned.
I was having a very nice dream and then she woke me up, causing me to forget about it.

"Okay well, you need to get up early anyways. Your new ADHD medications came in, the higher dosage." She said with a smile.

I immediately shot up, my eyes bulging out of my head. "WAIT WHAT!?" I asked, grinning. My current medications barely work, maybe things will change.

"Yes! C'mon downstairs, take one and then go get ready for school." My mother instructed. I did as was told and hurried downstairs after my mother in Pyjamas.

"Okay, okay, I know that this one seems bigger because it is. It will help though, so swallow." Mom warned me before I popped the pill in my mouth.

I nodded and swallowed. "How long until it will start to work?" I asked.

"That's one of the reasons why I got you up early. It will take an hour or two to kick in." She said. "Well, get ready, we want to get life together and this is the way." She finished, giving me a soft smile and heading back upstairs, presumably to fall asleep.

The adrenaline from being excited was wearing off and I felt tired again. I dragged myself back upstairs and fell back asleep.. not for long though. I had an alarm set for 5:30 AM. I yawned as I set up from my bed again.

I decided that I wanted to look nice today, so I found a white button-up shirt, light blue jeans, a belt, and I was going to wear my converse high-top sneakers as well. To top it off, I rolled up the sleeves of my shirt to my elbow, giving off the divorced dad look.

I walked downstairs to see a nice crumb cake on my plate. Crumb cake was my favorite thing to eat for breakfast, along with a banana. My mother was no where to be seen, probably working in her office. As I was eating my Dad came downstairs and grabbed his newspaper.

"Hey George! Did you sleep well?" He asked me, attempting to break the silence. "Yep," I said simply, there wasn't much to explain about how well I slept.

I finished eating the crumb cake and banana before going over to the "art room" where I did my schoolwork to pack up. My lunch was already placed on the desk. I picked up my notes, folders, binder, and computer, placed them into my bag and finally managed to shove my lunch bag in as well.

I checked the time on my phone, 7:09. I needed to head outside for the bus in about 3 minutes. I chilled on the chair until it was time to go. The bus picks me up at around 7:15. I walked out of my house, to the sidewalk and stood there in the freezing, January air.

The bus pulled up and I was lucky because the seat that I sit in, seat 5, had a heater right next to it. Therefore, I could defrost on the bus.

The bus ride was quick and I was able to quickly get off the bus. I put my stuff in my locker, grabbed my orchestra folder, and walked over to the library where I sit and read until 1st period bell.

I usually have about 10 minutes to read. Unfortunately though, someone was already sitting there. I huffed in annoyance and made my way to the orchestra room.

I played the cello and have been for about 8 years. I grabbed my cello and the bow. I sat down in a chair in the cello section, opened my folder, grabbed my music, and started tuning.

"Hi George, how are you today?" Mrs. Dainey asked me, smiling. "I'm good, how about you?" I replied, plucking my G string and cringing at how out of tune it was. Mrs. Dainey cringed as well, "Hand me the cello." I did as was told and watched as she tuned the instrument with ease.

She handed it back to me and I fixated on my music, satisfied with my playing. I usually wake up at 5 in the morning, but since I woke up an hour earlier, I was very very tired. Through almost the entirety of the period, I was slumped against my cello, trying my best to stay awake.

When I was mid asleep, the bell rang and Mrs. Dainey smirked, "Good morning Georgie! How was your nap?" She said sarcastically. I sighed and reluctantly sat up, "Fine, thanks for asking." I grumbled.

I had to run to my next class before the late bell rang. I burst into Mr. Memphis's class just seconds before the late bell rang. "Welcome, Georgino." Mr. Memphis said, organizing papers. He had nicknames for everyone, apparently mine was 'Georgino.'

I sat down at my desk and started to get the things that I needed for class ready and on the desk. "Alright guys, it's your favorite time of the day... NOTES!" Mr. Memphis announced with a smile. The class groaned, including me. Everyone shuffled around to grab their notebook. We are currently learning about ancient Japanese culture, I personally think that it may be one of the hardest units of his class yet; which is saying a lot.

Throughout the class, I was able to focus on the notes and what he was teaching us, which was a major improvement. I felt like my life was going to finally be able to be put back together again. I felt that I would finally achieve something in life. I felt... happy.

My medications normally make me emotionless, but these were able to let me experience a very brief amount of happiness. Better than nothing I guess.

The day honestly went pretty smoothly. It was surprising that I was able to focus for most of the day. The medications wore off at around 7th period, but at least they didn't wear off at 5th.

Maybe this is the quarter where I finally become a straight A student, my GPA will skyrocket.

"Hello George," my mother greeted me with a smile. "Did your medications work at all today?" She asked urgently, eager to find out if they worked. "Yeah, they worked for a while but didn't last past 7th period." I said, sighing.

"It's your first day on the medications, of course it's not going to last long yet." My mother chuckled, patting me on the back.

I shrugged and set my stuff down in the room where I do my homework and schoolwork. I opened my computer and logged onto my school email, which had all of the things that I needed for school on it.

I began to work on my schoolwork for around an hour or two... but I slowly started to feel... strange. I felt overwhelmed by my math homework and not at the same time. I was strangely calm and felt frozen. It was a weird feeling and I decided that I needed a break from my schoolwork.

That break ended up lasting about 3 hours and long story short, I never finished my math homework.

"Hey George, you okay?" She asked me, coming into my room. I gave her a puzzled look, "yeah I'm fine, why?" I asked.

"I don't know, you kind of disappeared. Did you finish your math homework?" She questioned, leaning on the door frame. "No, sorry, I'll finish it tomorrow." I said, shaking my head.

She sighed, "Alright, go to sleep, goodnight." She said before closing my door and leaving.

What happened was strange but I didn't think too much of it.

I wish I had though.

(1328 words)

MWAHAHHHAAA MISS ME??