Chapter Three

A little boy came to see him that day. Not to see HIM, of course. To see the doctor. Nobody came to see John anymore.

This little boy was adorable. He had dark curls that somehow seemed to shine. He had clear, bright eyes that looked deep in to John's soul. He was tall for his age.

He looked just like Sherlock.

John had the name on his tongue the whole time. It must have slipped out, because he heard the boy whispering, "Who's Sherlock?" To his mother.

He had told himself he wouldn't do this anymore. After that first painful three days (as it turned out,) he hadn't texted Sherlock once. But his heart hurt, longing to talk to the one person who was forever beyond his reach.

I met someone beautiful today. JW

Sherlock would have instantly hated this beautiful person, whoever it was. He would have done anything to ruin their relationship with John. Sherlock always did. And, to be perfectly honest, John had never tried all that hard to stop him.

He wouldn't have cared that the beautiful person was a child.

Would he have cared that John only though he was beautiful because he looked like Sherlock? It was too bad his friend didn't have any interest in dating; he could have gotten any woman he wanted. He really was attractive.

Maybe if John could make Sherlock believe he was in a relationship, maybe if he could make Sherlock want to ruin this relationship enough, he would come home.

Maybe he should stop wishing for the dead to come back to life.

*

In the end, he couldn't help himself. He lasted almost a week before texting Sherlock (Sherlock's phone?) again. But when the boy who looked like him came back for a follow-up, John broke down all over again. He decided to try and make Sherlock jealous, see if that would bring the world's only consulting detective back to him.

Their hair smells amazing. JW

John closed his eyes and leaned back at his desk. He imagined how his lover's hair might smell. Like shampoo, the expensive kind, but something else too.

He sat up with a jolt.

He hadn't been imagining a woman's smell. That smell had been Sherlock.

Their skin is so pale, it gleams. JW

John needed his best friend back. He was going crazy.