Chapter Ten

The following month was utter agony for Sherlock. Every time his phone chimed with a message from Mycroft, Sherlock dove for it, hoping it would be John.

It never was.

Stupid bloody Mycroft. Why couldn't he just leave Sherlock alone? He was perfectly fine.

I think I'm going to ask them to marry me. JW

Sherlock was not perfectly fine.

He wanted nothing more than to stomp right down to Baker Street and demand an explanation. John owed him one.

But Sherlock owed it to himself to keep John alive.

Why was John lying about this girl? He was compromising the whole situation! If Sherlock was to actually go and try to stop John from getting married, John would be killed.

Good thing the girl was fake.

I'm going to pick out a ring tomorrow. JW

John was desperate. The happier he pretended to be, the sadder he actually was.

Sherlock watched as his best friend daydreamed. It was three days after the alleged decision. John's eyes were closed as he thought.

He looked... Not happy. Hopeful. Yes, that was the word. Hopeful. John was going to announce his engagement.

John's fiancée was lucky she didn't exist. If she did, she would have a very angry (jealous?) Sherlock to deal with.

Jealous. Why had he thought that? He was most certainly not jealous.

What was there to be jealous of? Nothing, there was nothing.

Was there?

"But love is as emotional thing, and whatever is emotional is opposed to that true cold reason which I place above all things. I should never marry myself, lest I bias my judgement."

They said yes. JW

Surely it was only the fact that he missed John. John was trying so hard to get Sherlock back, but he had to stay away. For John.

Sherlock wasn't sure if that made him a very good person, or a very not good one.

Good Things:
1. Protecting John
2. Protecting Mrs. Hudson
3. Protecting Lestrade
4. He wasn't dead, not really
5. Protecting John
6. PROTECTING JOHN
7. PROTECTING. JOHN.

I want you to be there. JW

Not Good Things:
1. Hurting John
2. Hurting Mrs. Hudson
3. Hurting Lestrade
4. Everyone thought he was dead, so he might as well be
5. Hurting John
6. HURTING JOHN
7. HURTING. JOHN.

Paradox.