Only the Beginning

She remembered the first day they'd met, on the hill, under that tree.

Both looking for shade from the sun beating down on the University campus.

She remembered the way his eyes seemed to change when he saw her.

She remembered the funny feeling she had then, a feeling she couldn't quite place.

She remembered him taking her to dinner that weekend, kissing her goodnight on her porch.

She remembered when they stayed out late at the park and ate pizza and stargazed.

How he'd held her hand and whispered that she was so beautiful.

How she'd heard in his voice how much he meant it.

She remembered their study dates at the library, the glares they'd get from people reading or writing.

She remembered how before they'd take a bite of ice cream, they'd always try the other's first.

How one night they just looked at each other, tracing the lines in their faces, hands, arms, to memorize each other completely.

She remembered when he tucked her hair behind her ear and told her he was madly in love with her.

She remembered how when he kissed her then, it felt like she was absolutely soaring above the earth.

She remembered how it felt like nothing else mattered.

How she was willing to give anything for him, anything at all.

She remembered their first big fight.

How he raised his voice and she cried and he took her in his arms and told her he was sorry and she said it too.

How they promised each other that yelling wasn't the answer.

How they promised each other they would always work it out, because it was worth it, they were worth it.

She remembered how each day, when she looked into his eyes, she could feel the purest and truest love she could possibly imagine.

And now she looked at him.

Down on one knee.

Eyes glistening.

Under the tree, on top of the hill, where they very first laid eyes on each other.

Through her tears, she saw her entire world right there.

"Of course I will," she said, her voice breaking.

She felt the ring slide onto her finger.

He kissed her, and she wrapped her arms around him.

They pulled away and looked at each other, laughter bubbling from them.

When it faded he locked his eyes with hers.

"This is only the beginning," he told her.