Seventh Year, Seventh Hour, Seventh Devil

Chapter 3

To the sound of an increasingly annoying alarm clock, I rolled out of bed, muttering every swear and curse I knew once I saw the time. Throwing on my Hogwarts uniform, I fixed my make up and grabbed my school bag quickly before dashing downstairs to the all-but-empty common room in my grey Steve Madden Troopa booties. Hestia and Flora Carrow were waiting for me, so I fell in step hastily.

"Adrianne Arcane," Hestia crossed her arms playfully.

"I know, I know," I rolled my eyes, a small smile on my face.

Together, the three of us made our way down into the Great Hall, where breakfast was laid out on each table, as per usual. We sat in our usual seats, and Flora reached for a platter with a stack of pancakes on them and took off three. "I'm starving," she said, placing the pancake platter down and smothering the ones on her plate with syrup gleefully as Hestia and I watched.

"Are you sure you can wait to eat?" Hestia teased her. "I heard Lawson booked the Quidditch field for Gryffindor today."

"Well then, we've got time, right, Quidditch buddy?" I turned to Flora, who smirked and nodded. "Betcha they need a good fly on the wall anyway," she said, took a bite of her pancakes, then told me, "We've got a match coming up in a few days. Good job re-making the team, by the way," I grinned at her. "Same goes for you."

Hestia picked up her own plate as I said, "I think we've got a few good players this year; maybe enough to get us the Cup."

"We did a lot of replacing, didn't we, Adrianne?" Flora said proudly, then took a bite of her pancakes.

This year, the entire Quidditch team had unanimously decided to try some deep-washing: players who were already on the team but not very good would have to try out again or leave the team, leaving spots open for better players. Flora, being on the Quidditch team for three years with ground-breaking scores, had not had to re-enter for her spot, and neither had I.

"Yeah, actually," I agreed, mulling the new team over in my mind as I looked around the table for cereal. "We have two new Chasers since  Flora kept her spot" -at this, both her and her twin grinned- "and the other two graduated, and they were replaced by the only Second Year, and, get this: Pansy."

Hestia's eyes widened. "Are you bloody joking me?"

Flora shook her head, pondering. "Honest."

Hestia glanced at the pair of us. "And you let her on the team?"

I shrugged, picking up a bowl. "Wasn't my decision."

Hestia rolled her eyes and grabbed some toast and fruit. "Good Lord. I should've tried out."

As she finished chewing, Flora nodded, then turned to me. "Who else? I didn't see the list."

"Um..." I had to think about it. "A new Beater for me -finally got rid of meat-head number one- Michael Robinson in our Year, actually. Alex kept his spot as Keeper ... All the Subs got replaced; no idea who they are, I didn't bother to look. I think that's it." I picked up a box of cereal and poured it into the bowl, then took a bite of the Lucky Charms.

"Oh my gosh, did you hear about the new Second Year to the team?" Flora asked as she took another bite. "Alex told me that he pulled a Porskoff Ploy brilliantly first time around."

"Are you serious?" I demanded, joy beginning in my stomach. "A Second Year?"

"Don't know why you of all people sound so impressed," Hestia commented as she poured herself pumpkin juice. "You were doing some crazy stunt-slash-so-called-"official" moves when you were younger than him."