Taking The Plunge

Chapter 2

~Adrianne's POV~

I carefully placed the journal in the bag and refused to look at the blond guy.

"I'd say you have some explaining to do," he said cheerfully.

I couldn't help it; my breath caught, and I turned and fled down the train. I could hear footsteps pounding after me. "Wait!" he called, and my heart nearly stopped.

I want to disappear I want to disappear I want to disappear I want to disappear I want to disappear I want to disappear I want to disappear I want to-

"What the hell?"

I stopped, and turned to face the guy. He was looking around rapidly and swearing under his breath. "Where did she go?"

Not missing a beat, I sprinted down into an empty compartment and pulled out my mirror. Just as I suspected, I didn't show up on the glass.

Panic crawled up into my throat and suddenly, the mirror flickered and revealed me again.

Visible Visible Visible Visible Visible

I could feel myself getting solid. Huh. Aunt Alecto had never said anything about magic being like this. Running down the hallway, I heard a familiar voice: "..a boy named Neville's lost one."

That girl with my father's journal...

I practically tripped over myself going in the direction of the voice. I found her outside a compartment that was occupied by two boys.

"Oh, are you doing magic?" she asked, then her voice took on a slightly haughty tone. "Let's see it, then."

The red-head boy coughed, then waved his wand at the rat on his lap. "Sunshine, daisies, butter, mellow, turn this stupid fat rat yellow!"

The rat squeaked, but did not appear yellow in any way.

"Are you sure that's a real spell?" she asked dubiously. "Well, it's not very good, is it?"

The red-head shot the other boy a look, but she didn't notice and continued. "I've only tried a few simple ones, but they've all worked for me." She reached for her wand and pulled it out, flouncing into the compartment. She sat by the window, across from the boy with dark hair. "Quick sample," she explained as she focused the wand on the boy's face and he jumped back. "Oculos repairo."

The boy's glasses cleaned and straightened instantly. "Woah," the boy murmured.

She stared at him intently, and we came to the same conclusion at the same time. "You're Harry Potter!" she exclaimed as I whispered.

My blood ran cold.

Every instinct in my body yelled at me to do multiple different things at the same time.

Don't run.

Run.

Take out your wand.

Duel him honorably.

Win.

Pretend you didn't see him.

Kill him!

I gaped in shock and stumbled back. "What?" I whispered. "Harry Potter? How do I know him?"  

And I did know him; there was no doubt in my mind that I did; no other explanation met the mark.

"Excuse me?" the taller lackey-boy from the compartment spun me around, and I promptly spun around, wand out. Seeing it was him, I relaxed, then tensed. "What do you want?" I questioned.