[ 005 ] ❝ round of 64 at miami ❞

'Once something is a passion, the motivation is there.' 
- Michael Schumacher 

Today was free practice 1 and 2 at the Jeddah Corniche Circuit in Saudi Arabia and unfortunately Lucía wasn't able to watch it due to the round of 64 match she was to play. After his win last weekend Charles was feeling ready for the race on Sunday, however he already felt strange not having Lucía with him. Throughout the day he'd been full of jitters, up to the point where Carlos had asked him if anything was wrong. Nothing was wrong par say, he just hoped Lucía's match went well. He wouldn't be able to watch it but he would keep himself updated on the score whenever he could. 

He sent her a good luck message before the match began and hoped she had seen it before he got into the number 16 Ferrari, ready to drive out for FP1. The hour ended with him clocking a 1.30.772s on the soft compound tyres in the final minutes. Going second fastest was his biggest rival of the year, Max Verstappen, the 2021 World Champion. Max and Charles had grown up racing against each other, right from the very start, from their go-karting days, and so despite both wanting to win the Grand Prix, and be the next WC, they were good friends. They both enjoyed racing each other, and were much more friendly on track than Max and Lewis Hamilton. 

FP2, the plan was to focus on race simulations, as most teams had planned actually. Charles, having gone quickest in the opening practice at the Jeddah Corniche Circuit, clocked a 1.30.074s to finish 0.140s clear of Red Bull's Verstappen. He improved on his last time slightly however with twenty minutes to go, he hit the wall at Turn 4. He drove back to the pits, disappointed with himself for damaging the car a little. There was always a sense of embarrassment whenever he crashed or clipped his car, mainly because it meant the team had to work even harder to fix it for him. 

Winning the round of 64 match was another step towards a big accomplishment for Lucía. She used to dream of winning the big tennis competitions and this was no different. Some kids dream of wanting to be an actress, singer, astronaut etc. but she had always dreamed of doing something in sports. Whether it was ballet, running, netball or tennis. In the end it was tennis that truly stuck with her. It was the sport she had most enjoyed playing while growing up and so as she got older the more effort and focus she put into the singular sport. Her dad had always been her biggest supporter. She wouldn't be where she was today if he hadn't sacrificed so much when she was younger. He truly believed she could do it, and here she was, now twenty one, nearly twenty two, competing against some of the biggest stars of tennis, people much older than her, but still worked just as hard. Some players had more experience under their belt, but it never faltered her confidence, not since she won the French Open last year. Winning her first Grand Slam had boosted her confidence when on the court. She no longer doubted herself when facing women who had won many Grand Slam's themselves. 

Her celebration was short lasted as she was soon notified that Charles had been in a crash during FP2. Whether it was a big one or small clip of the car she didn't know but she immediately answered her phone, walking towards the flowers placed in her room on the table. She smiled softly. Her favourites- tulips. She picked up the small card and read the short message from Charles.

To Lu, my tennis superstar.
Congratulations on winning today- wish I could be there in person.
Love you chérie x
            - C.L

"Are you okay? Someone told me you crashed?" Was the first thing Charles heard as he answered his girlfriend's phone call.