[13: The Great Escape]

[CW]: Mentions of alcoholism and violence, abusive family relationships.

~

You never mentioned your father. It was one mystery Heejin wanted to solve. She didn't expect him to own the expensive cars in your driveway. You were richer than you looked.

"What's wrong with your dad?" Heejin asked.

"All you need to know is that he's an asshole," you told her.

You shook your head as you felt your breathing grow nervous, but when Heejin rubbed small circles on your back, you calmed down. She guessed he wasn't the nicest person. Was he abusive? Did he hurt you? If she were honest, she wanted to give him a piece of her mind.

You faced the front door when you gave Heejin the warning. You hesitated to pull out your house keys. You wondered if it would be easier to sneak in instead of going through the front door. No, you needed to face him. You needed to tell him what he needed to hear.

"Run upstairs when I tell you to. Get in my room. Whatever happens, make sure you get inside."

Heejin nodded. You opened the door.

Your father was on the couch, watching some movies with bottles of beer next to him. There was some takeout on the coffee table. The juxtaposition of leftover McDonald's nuggets next to expensive chocolates made your blood boil. The bastard was off work and crashed here.

He noticed two people enter his house. One was taller than the other. Through his blurry vision, he saw his child. They looked down at him, shaking their heads in disappointment. Your father couldn't see your face, but he noticed your dropping your backpack beside the door.

Your father, finally recognizing you, spoke in slurred sentences.

"Ah, you're home. I want to talk to you."

His voice trailed off towards the end as he pointed to you. His hand clawed around a can of beer. You could not be more disgusted.

You nudged Heejin's elbow and looked at the stairs. That was her cue to run. Heejin bowed to the strange man, then ran straight for your room. You noticed your father waving at Heejin. Did he know who she was? He must have heard of the middle school drama. Maybe he didn't recognize her if he wasn't mad.

You shrugged off your thoughts and focused on what your father told you. He wanted to talk to you. What would be so important to be discussed at this kind of setting? You could tell that this man was drunk. He was probably home from some rich party somewhere.

"About what?" you asked.

You didn't get an answer. Your father, dressed up in one of his fancy suits, was close to dozing off. The alcohol was surely getting to him. Judging by the cans of beer and bottles of wine scattered on the floor and coffee table, he was in too deep.

"Seriously?" you were yelling at him. "You're lucky that mom and [S/N] aren't home. I would have revealed your damn secret to them."

You wanted to get rid of the bastard. Your words were seething with anger.

"You'd finally be exposed, then we'll live without you."

With the sound of your threat, your father woke up. He burst into laughter, placing the empty can of beer onto the table. He looked at you, who was glaring daggers into his eyes. You were mad. He didn't care.

"Do you really think you could live without me?" he asked. "I'm the one who puts food on the table. You're lucky you got into your fancy little school with a scholarship, but how will you do in college? Surely, your habits won't get you anywhere."