Chapter 4

Over the course of the month, Kate found herself at the Bridgerton household more than she'd like to admit. more often than not, Lady Bridgerton would send her baskets of fruit and bread and as the polite lady she was, she would go over to give her thanks which led to her talking to Eloise about books for hours on end and having painting competitions with Benedict. The Viscount never really showed, always in his study Kate assumed. She didn't mind so much, she didn't care for his attitude but still she couldn't get him out of her mind. Was she really that bad or was he genuinely busy? He seemed to get on with Julius perfectly fine, they had been going to the club frequently but every time she tried to start a conversation she received an icy glare. "I say we promenade. Come now, it'll be nice to get some fresh air." Kate nodded and pulled the skirt of her dress up slightly so she didn't fall over it as she rose. "I shall be your escort if you wish, Miss Shaw." Kate smiled at Benedict. "That would be delightful, sir." The two smirked at each other at the use of formalities, they often found themselves mocking the way of society but nevertheless abided by the rules.

Just as they were about to leave the Viscount made an appearance. "Anthony? I didn't think you were home." The eldest Bridgerton stepped forward, signalling for them to continue on their venture out. "Yes well, I've been very busy handling documents mother, I've come to join you on your promenade." Kate couldn't hold the urge to roll her eyes and so she wondered ahead with Colin and Eloise. What she didn't know was that the Viscount had seen what she did.

The Bridgertons and Kate walked slowly through the park, the sun was beaming and the area was buzzing with people. The lake glistened in the sun and Kate couldn't help but wonder how cool the water was. The summer breeze was refreshing as it made the loose pieces of her hair flow about. "I do not believe we've had the pleasure of meeting before." Kate jumped, startled and Benedict had to keep a tight hold on her arm to stop her from tripping. Behind she heard Anthony laugh but cover it with a cough. How sophisticated. "I believe you have not. This is Miss Shaw, she has just moved in across the way. Miss Shaw this is Lady Featherington, a dear friend of our family." Kate curtsied in front of the woman out of respect but she did not appreciate the way the Lady's eyed wondered over her body and the grimace that was her face afterwards. "Well it was lovely to meet you Lady Featherington but it's getting rather hot and I wish to rest." Kate pulled Benedict along as she took rather large and unladylike steps away from the Featheringtons. "You'll have to excuse her, she's rather rude. Don't let it get to your head, you're a lovely girl Miss Shaw." Kate held her stomach and smiled up at Benedict. "Thank you. I just didn't expect it is all, especially during my first encounter with the Lady." Benedict hooked there arms again and Eloise hooked onto the other arm, and the three continued to walk.

"Welcome to Mayfair, Miss Shaw. The town full of greedy men and even greedier women."