Chapter 5

Kate was to attend her first ball tonight. It was being held at Lady Danbury's home, a woman she had heard much about, all good of course, in her eyes anyway. She seems to be a woman much like herself, ambitious and not afraid to start and finish an argument. Her escort would be her brother unless she were to find better company upon arrival.

Most of Kate's day was spent in the gardens, she had requested a swing and she was glad she had as it was rather entertaining. The view was like no other, and she couldn't believe how lucky she truly was compared to other people in the world. "Miss Shaw, your brother requested that you begin to get ready as he wishes to visit the Viscount beforehand." Kate sighed and stepped off the swing. Her brother and the Viscount seemed to be spending a lot of time together and Kate wasn't sure she liked it. "Very well, thank you Francis." The maid bowed before departing.

Kate breathed in as her Ladies tightened her corset once again. She wished that she could abandon the blasted thing. "Almost there Miss." Kate merely nodded and focused on what she would do with her hair instead. After many hours, Kate was ready. Her gown reached all the way to the floor, ruffled and laced. Diamonds coated the top by her chest and she had jewellery to match. Her hair laid in a nice plait on her shoulder, with gems to make it prettier. She met her brother in the drawing room and together they set off to the Bridgertons.

Walking to the lobby of the Bridgerton home, Kate stood in awe as she looked at the well polished family. However there were too new members that Kate had yet to meet. A small petite woman with beautiful strawberry blonde hair.  Her dress was simple but elegant and she could immediately see the relationship between her and the Lady Bridgerton. Next to her stood a man rather handsome in Kates mind, he was tall and had beautiful dark skin. "I don't know who you are but I must say you look beautiful." Kate turned and her cheeks went a deep shade of red. "I- uh thank you, Miss." Violet Bridgerton placed her hand on Kates shoulder. "Miss Shaw may I introduce you to my eldest daughter, Daphne. She is married to the Duke of Hastings." Kates eyes widened a little, an impressive title for an impressive man she supposed. "Oh my, it's a pleasure." She curtsied. She also seemed to notice the absence of her brother and the Viscount, an uneasy feeling settled in her stomach but she blamed it on nerves. Kate walked over to Eloise and Hyacinth. "You girls look beautiful as usual. Now I'm not usually one to scold but keep your head high tonight Eloise, can't have you ruining my first formal ball." Kate winked to show Eloise she was teasing and Eloise rolled her eyes at the older girls antics.

The family made haste as they were going to be late. Walking into the ball room was a feeling that Kate couldn't put into words. The people were all dressed up in their finest jewellery and dresses and suits. Couples danced on the dance floor to slow romantic melodies.

Kate had never been to a ball quite as magnificent as this.