008 come on, tarzan

008  come on, tarzan

"Dawkins was on his way to the airport. Saw our checkpoint and made a u-turn. He's in the H3 tunnel headed into Halawa Valley. Uh-oh." Kono updated, Maleea furrowing her brows. "Uh-oh, what?" The brunette woman questioned from the backseat. "We're about to lose traffic cam coverage, in about two seconds." Kono notified, watching the car disappear into the tunnel on the screen in front of her. "He's gone." She updated. "I'm sorry there's no other cameras on that road." Kono apologised, even though it was not her fault. "All right." Steve hangs up the phone, pressing a button on the dash. He looks in the mirror at Maleea, an unsure look washing over his face. The girl furrowing her brows at his expression towards her. "One second." He spoke, dialling a new number.

"Why, hello there, sailor." A woman's voice greeted on the other end. A feeling of jealousy washed over Maleea, the voice sounding very flirtatious. "Cath, I need your help. I'm pursuing a suspect in a black Mercedes. He's headed west into the Halawa Valley. Can you get me a visual?" Steve asked the woman on the phone, now known to be Cath - a nickname, Maleea could only assume for the name Catherine. "You want me to access an IKON reconnaissance satellite for your car chase?" She questioned. Maleea hated everything, she hated how soft and sweet the woman's voice was, she hated that Steve had a nickname for her. She hated it all right now. With a soft sigh, she readjusted, turning her body to look out the window, so Steve couldn't see her face if he were to look in the rear view window.

"This guy's killed three people already today." He informed the woman over the phone. "Yeah, look, this could raise some flags." She argued with the man, clearly she would be going out of her way to help Steve and could risk her job. "Classify it as an NSA request from a black ops drop box. Okay? Come on, Cath. I need this." Steve ordered, clearly knowing exactly what to do in a situation like this, he all but begged. "You know, you're like the good-looking guy from high school, who knows how cute he is and just won't take no for an answer." Cath spoke, Maleea shifting uncomfortably. Yes Cath, he was the good looking guy from high school who wouldn't take no for an answer because he knew how good looking he is. That's exactly what he did to me. My high school. My good looking guy. My Steve. We're the thoughts racing through Maleea's head at a hundred miles an hour. Chin looked between the girl in the back who looked like we wanted to stab herself with a fork, she was so uncomfortable and jealous and Steve, who was in the front a smug smile gracing his face, unaware that his decision to make this particular phone call in this setting, would derail his plans for getting Maleea back.

"All right, I got your black Mercedes. I'm sending you the grid coordinates and imagery now." She informed. "Thank you, thank you, thank you. Next leave beers are on me, okay?" Steve offered as a thank you for the woman's help. "Oh, you are not getting off that easy." The woman's smile evident in her voice as she spoke. Steve hung up the phone, continuing to drive in the direction of the car he just received. No one spoke for a moment, but Chin couldn't hold it in. "You got her to use a military recon satellite," he started, looking in the mirror to gage Maleea's reaction to the next sentence. "And then you made a date?" Chin watched as Maleea winced at the words, his heart breaking for his friend, she didn't deserve to feel badly about this. But in saying so, Steve had no right to make a date like that in front of her when he had been so openly expressing the fact he was going to get her back, every time he had a conversation with his friends. And although, Chin could make the excuse that it was a friendly date, as a thank you, he could feel the chemistry and tension between his boss and the woman on the phone, very well aware, this was not just thank you drinks as friends.

"I'm a multitasker." Steve nodded, intending for it to be a joke, but all it did was upset Maleea more. "There. Address that." Steve told Chin, the man tapping the screen a few times. "He just pulled into Makani Kai Aviation. It's a helicopter tour operator." Chin informed Steve.

During the duration of the drive to Makani Kai, Chin got on the phone, making a call to organise a helicopter for Steve to pilot in search of Dawkins and the one he hijacked. They parked the car, the trio getting out and suiting up in bullet proof vests. Maleea's phone began buzzing in her pocket, she hurriedly moved to retrieve the device currently receiving a call. The caller ID reading, Danny Williams, she answered immediately. "Danny, boy." She beamed, Steve's head snapping up at both who she was talking to and how enthusiastic her tone was to speak to the man from New Jersey. "Dawkins has hostages." Were the first words out of the blonde's mouth. "What?" She exclaimed, Chin and Steve looking at her with furrowed brows. "According to Makani Kai Aviation their bird took off with a pilot and a family of three coming back from a tour of the island." Danny relayed the information to the brunette, who was pacing.

"Chin, where's your friend?" Maleea rushed out, the urgency of the situation increasing by the minute. "On his way as we speak." Chin informed pointing to the sky where they trio could now see the helicopter clearly. "Danny, contact Honolulu Approach. Get me the direction that island bird is heading, okay?" Maleea began shouting as the helicopter landed. "You got it." Danny responded. "Good." Maleea nodded, although the blonde couldn't see her. Hanging up the phone she turned to face Chin and Steve, the navy seal motioning her over with his finger, she put her phone in her pocket before making her way over to the now, landed helicopter, jumping in behind Steve.

-

Steve landed the helicopter at the crash site, Chin, Steve and Maleea hopping out, armed and ready. Maleea made her way over to the other chopper, seeing the pilot shot across the seats. "We got a single gunshot wound." She confirmed, placing her pointer and middle finger on the man's neck, feeling for a pulse. No pulse. "He's dead. Family's gone." She observed, looking back at the two men. "He's got hostages." Chin commented, looking at Steve. The trio began trudging through the greenery, following the path of Dawkins. As they reached high tree cover a flock of birds began flying away from the direction in which they were walking. "They went this way." Steve stated, looking at the pair behind him.

"You sure?" Chin asked, not wanting to change directions if their boss wasn't certain of this fact. "Birds fly away from danger, away from predators. Dawkins is making a fast pace. He's snapping branches, he's kicking rocks. The Apapanes didn't like it, one of them sounded the alarm call. . . off they went." Maleea finished for Steve, turning on her heel and walking in the direction from which the birds flew away from. Chin and Steve following the woman as she began leading the group, trudging through the greenery once again. Not far into the journey, they came across a creek, Steve bent down to drink some water. "They stopped here." She spoke noticing the change in footprints as she heard a commotion behind her. Turning she saw Chin warning Steve. "No, don't do that!" He rushed, Maleea furrowed her brows before understanding. "Molokai's rain forest's got pathogenic microbes in the water that'll put a man down in an hour. Now, judging from those tracks Maleea found, looks like they drank from it. They won't get much further." Chin crouched down so he was on the same level as Steve while he spoke. "Come on, Tarzan." Maleea smiled, reaching her hand out to help the tall man up, coining a new nickname for him, his face erupted in a large smile, the trio began trekking through the rain forest once again.

When the group pursued Dawkins, they were engaged in a firefight which neutralised him as a threat. They made their way back to HQ. Steve, Maleea, Chin, Kono and Danny walked through the glass doors together finding Kamekona sitting in a chair by himself, Mary nowhere to be seen. "Hey. Where's Mary?" Steve questioned, a sigh falling from Maleea's mouth as she knew the answer already. "I got good news and bad news." He replied.

"No, no, no." Steve rolled his eyes. "Good news: I got back with my girlfriend." Kamekona smiled. "That's good." Steve reacted annoyance clear in his tone. "Bad news is, you lost Mary." Chin concluded. "Sorry. She confused me with a Jedi mind trick." Kamekona apologised. "You want me to put out an APB?" Danny asked looking at Steve, Maleea shaking her head. "Actually, I think I know where she might be." Maleea spoke looking at Steve. "Yeah." He nodded, reading her mind and walking out the door to find his sister, Maleea turned to everyone staring at her. "What?" She questioned. Danny scoffed.

"I don't know who's more blind, you or him." He laughed walking off. "I hate you." The woman called out. "Love you more, Leea." He called behind him, the woman pouting and throwing her arms over her chest in a huff, she stormed off to her office, leaving the remaining three in fits of laughter.

-

thank you to those of you reading 🤍 please leave a comment and let me know your thoughts, i'd really appreciate it