VII. There's Daggers in Men's Smiles

They were in the back room of Benzo's shop, holding hands.

The door suddenly started to open. (Y/N) squeezed Vi's hand tighter.

It wasn't the Enforcers who entered. It was Vander and Benzo.

(Y/N) and Vi let go of each other. "Vander?" The latter asked, surprised.

Vander sighed. "We don't have much time."

"How did you find us?"

"I'm proud of you two. Always have been."

"We're sorry..." (Y/N) began. "This is the only way to protect them. They want her, and there's a reward for my capture."

Benzo looked through one of the windows. "Vander?"

"The two of you have a good heart," Vander said. "Don't ever lose it. I'm glad you two are together. Protect the family."

"What're you-" Vi began, but was cut off as Vander pushed the two teens back into the room and locked the door.

"Damn it, Vander!" (Y/N) shouted, slamming his fist on the door.

"Let us out! This isn't right!" Vi shouted along with him.

(Y/N) felt the adrenaline in his veins as he punched the door faster and harder, making small cracks in the wood and causing his knuckles to bleed.

Vi, thinking he'd break a hand, pulled him back and gave him a look that said, 'don't hurt yourself.'

She kept banging on the door. "Vander, no! You can't do this!"

(Y/N) noticed something in the corner of his vision. "Vi, the window!"

She ran up next to him, both of them struggling to see despite their respective heights.

Blood suddenly splattered on the window, causing Vi to gasp and (Y/N) to stumble back a little.

(Y/N), stunned, dropped to his knees. Then he screamed in an unstoppable combination of rage, pain, and guilt.

The two of them were in the shop for a while before the door opened. It was Ekko.

Vi quickly got up and hugged the kid.

"I saw everything..." Ekko said, crying. "Benzo... they..."

"Vander?" (Y/N) asked.

Ekko stammered. "They took him."

"Where?" Vi asked.

(Y/N) and Vi returned to the Last Drop to find Mylo and Claggor setting makeshift weapons on the table, as Powder looked on.

When they entered, Powder got up and hugged her sister.

(Y/N) picked up his sword, helmet, and the remote claw from the table. "These are mine."

Vi picked up Vander's old gauntlets.

"Hey, those are Vander's," Mylo protested. "Slow down. What's going on?"

"Benzo's dead," Vi answered.

"Dead?" Claggor asked.

"They took Vander."