The Discovery/Empty Chairs at Empty Tables

After a few minutes, I pull away from Grantaire and turn to the rest of the Boys. "Did we win?" I ask quietly. Enjolras is the first one to speak up, "I-I I don't know, Gav. None of us do." Corfeyrac shrugs his shoulders. They all follow by muttering, shruging, or shaking their heads. "Alright then," I try again, "where's Marius?" Again, Enjolras speaks first, "He's not here, but he'll be coming soon to this room. We must leave." His head turns to a chair in the middle of the room, signaling that that is where Pontmercy will sit. Somehow, he knows, but I we don't have time to question. There are voices echoing from the floor below us. We all hurry down the stairs as fast and quiet as possible.

We all try to find places to hide. I run behind a large curtain covering a window. I hear the sound of high heels walking past, which makes me want to peek out. I draw the curtain back about an inch and look through. It's Cosette! This is the one the Pontmercy is marrying. Now I can hear footstep going up the stairs; Marius going to the room with the chair. Cosette is about to go up with him, but she is turning on her (actually quite high) heels. She runs on tiptoe over to my curtain. Crap. I see her fingers wrapped around the edge of the curtain. She found me. That girl is good (nice job Ponty). "Gavroche? What are you doing here, yah know, alive?" "Honestly," I start, "I have no idea, but Marius isn't supposed to know I'm alive, so shhh. Oh and the rest of the Boys are alive to. Happy wedding!"

Cosette smiles and walks away. Suddenly, singing flows down from the top floor where Marius is. "There's a grief that can't be spoken.

There's a pain goes on and on.

Empty chairs at empty tables

Now my friends are dead and gone.

Here they talked of revolution.

Here it was they lit the flame.

Here they sang about 'tomorrow'

And tomorrow never came.

From the table in the corner

They could see a world reborn

And they rose with voices ringing

I can hear them now!

The very words that they had sung

Became their last communion

On the lonely barricade at dawn.

Oh my friends, my friends forgive me

That I live and you are gone.

There's a grief that can't be spoken.

There's a pain goes on and on.

Phantom faces at the window.

Phantom shadows on the floor.

Empty chairs at empty tables

Where my friends will meet no more.

Oh my friends, my friends, don't ask me

What your sacrifice was for

Empty chairs at empty tables

Where my friends will meet no more"

I feel an urge that is almost impossible to resist, but I can. I won't do what I want to(run up to the room and say "Hey Marius, we're all alive!") because I know I can't. Not yet, anyway.