11

Dad asked around and found the room they had contained Lazzaro and where Silvio and the lawyer were currently in no time. His contact here at the precinct was actually someone dad had known for a while and was friends with back at the academy years ago.

The hallway was buzzing with people as we swerved around them, following dad's friend, Mr Benard, to the detainment room. 

"I have to say, Andrew, it's a tricky case, " Benard said in an almost nonexistent French accent as he strode forward and then took a sharp turn right. We came in front of two doors and Benard opened the one on the left, urging us inside. It was an empty room, though, with a couple of chairs, a single table and a big tainted window on the right wall.

"I can't get you exactly inside but this is the next best thing," he informed us before pressing a button next to the window and making it actually see-through. My breath hitched in my throat when I saw Lazzaro, Silvio, the lawyer--a middle-aged man in a crisp grey suit and an I-know-what-I'm-doing expression on his face--and another man with a badge hung around his neck on a string that I presumed was the lead detective or something close to that.

"Thanks, Benard. I'll owe you one for this." dad briefly put his hand on his heart to showcase his sincerity to which Benard waved his hand dismissively. 

"Call us even now. Remember the chaos I caused back at the academy and dragged you down with me?" dad's eyes glinted with remembrance and he chuckled upon hearing this. He nodded, acknowledging the use of his favour, but kept quiet and gave Benard a chance to briefly tell us what had been happening.

Benard stepped forward to the glass and pointed to the man I placed as the detective. I was right. "That is Thomas Dupont, the precinct's captain. He was the one who got the arrest warrant from your guys back in DC and allowed it. Your guys are here, too, but are currently on the line with the Bureau." Benard then turned to me, face overall incomprehensible but eyes unusually sympathetic. "Lazzaro is facing second-degree murder charges. Usually-- but depending on the jurisdiction and state--the sentence would be from 15 years to life. However, considering he was only 12 at the time the judge may adjudicate differently."

The little bit of air I had left my chest was gone as I gasped. 15 to life? For a committed crime at the age of twelve because he was defending his brother? I averted my gaze to the guys on the other side of the window. Silvio was leaning back on the chair, hand across his jaw and mouth to show frustration and even helplessness, while Lazzaro was leaning on the metal table, his wrists cuffed and tired eyes looking straight at the wall behind the captain while the captain kept talking. His left leg was anxiously tapping up and down, no doubt from the fear he was experiencing. The clothes he had been wearing when they took him were still on him, but more dishevelled and it got me thinking that they had not offered him clean clothes or even food. He didn't even get the chance to eat at home. Not having the heart to look at him longer, I turned around to face the two men in front of me.

"But acting it out in a form of self-defence is not a second-degree murder," dad scrunched his eyebrows and crossed his arms in front of him. Benard nodded.

"That is right, but technically Lazzaro hadn't been acting out in self-defence. His father wasn't threatening his own life, but his brother's. At least, that's what we've been told by the feds. Lazzaro still hasn't spoken anything about the case to the officials."

I looked to dad this time. His jaw was clenched and he ran his hand through his hair a couple of times then turned to face me. I knew then that he had almost no hope for Lazz ever getting out without being imprisoned. 

Tears prickled my eyes but I blinked them away. With the heavy feeling inside of me, I glanced through the window again and this time, I saw Silvio and the lawyer finally getting up. Silvio said something to his brother, tapped his shoulder reassuringly and exited to which Lazzaro responded by only giving him a tired nod. As if having a mind of its own, my legs urged me outside our room, too, until I was standing in front of Silvio's sagged form.