Chapter 24

The sky was still overcast by the time they turned off the highway onto the dirt road that led to the campground

The sky was still overcast by the time they turned off the highway onto the dirt road that led to the campground. Her dad had insisted on driving his truck back, probably to make sure Penelope didn't run off again. Through the passenger-side window, Penelope watched clouds swirl in the sky overhead, wondering which way the weather would go. Summer weather could be unpredictable. Depending on the day progressed, the sun could either burn off the clouds, make them swell up into a storm, or settle somewhere in between. For the sake of the search, Penelope hoped the weather stayed somewhat mild.

Dust kicked up as they drove down the road. They soon reached the campground entrance and turned off into its long oval-shaped driveway. Penelope understood now why Henry and Lyla had to stay behind. It wasn't even noon and yet the campground was packed, busier than Penelope had ever seen it. Children were everywhere; swarming the playground and running between RVs and tents of every shape and size. Their parents looked on, introducing themselves to each other and chatting over their morning coffee. Penelope wondered how many of them were here for the impending Raven festival. Judging by the deep purple t-shirts emblazoned with various graphics of the Raven—including one particularly striking one that looked like it had been torn from a fifties sci-fi magazine cover—some of the campers definitely were.

Something about it made her feel sick. If only they knew...

Penelope tore her gaze away as the vehicles drove past. At the last turn of the driveway, Beth parked her SUV in front of their house, while her dad pulled his truck into the spot next to Cabin 1. As he put the truck into park, Penelope wondered where they might find Henry. He was usually outside, doing some kind of landscaping work...

Penelope spotted two people standing at the tree line.

There was Henry, as well as Lyla. Penelope had only really met Lyla once, at the game night Beth had hosted. Even at a distance, Penelope could recognize her thick braid of pure-black hair. She was pretty, slight, and deeply tan from always being outdoors. Henry, of course, was back in his signature overalls. They were busy at work, cutting down more foxglove. Despite the work Liam and Henry had done only a short time ago, it had already grown back with a vengeance. A whole long line of towering purple flowers had sprung up all along the edge of the yard, like a pretty but toxic fence.