Eight.

>>>>One Week Later, July 6th, 2012<<<<
**Limiting patois usage compared to previous chapters, written completely English now unless necessary**

"I don't understand why you don't try dancing."

  I rolled my eyes as I watched Rhianne dance in my mirror, only wearing a bra and a pair of biker shorts. It was the night before Rhianne's audition for that dance contest she told me about when we first met. Since I was supposed to go with her with the auditions, Rhianne slept over at my house. She met my parents beforehand. Dad liked her, but my mother - being the orthodox Japanese mother she is - disliked her. Her opinion was irrelevant to me, anyhow.

  "I can't dance. Simple as that." I replied, nodding my head to the sound of Rampin' Shop by Vybz Kartel. I watched Rhianne rotate hips until she dropped to the floor. "What is so special about this contest, anyway?"

  "It's not just a contest, Nami," Rhianne said, continuing to dance in the mirror. "You get crowned as the Big Batty Princess of Kingston! Do you know what that could do for me?"

  "Obviously not." I quipped.

  She rolled her eyes. "Gyals who won the Big Batty Princess competition appear in the hottest magazines and get cameos in the best videos! You know how much starshine that is?"

  "So, everyone joins this competition wants to be famous for shaking their asses on stage?" I reiterated. She shrugged. "Who the fuck created this competition?"

  "Like I know. All I know is that mi waan win this year. Inni Bailey won for the past two years." I shook my head. This competition was stupid as fuck. I'm glad I have no interest in dance.

  My phone vibrated on my thigh as I leaned my head back on the wall. I averted my attention to my phone, unlocking it and clicking the text message notification. A smile crept onto my face when I saw that it was Jules texting me. Over the last week, him and I have been texting non-stop. He's really funny, intellectual, and sweet. I also found out that he's 22, but that wasn't so bad, seeing as that I'll be 18 in November. Jules didn't seem worried about my age either, only for the simple fact that I could hold a conversation. That was reassuring because I was developing a crush on him.

  Jules: wah gwan, beauty? ;)

  I was used to him calling me Beauty, since it was the only thing he could remember me by. Like any girl who was texting her crush would, I blushed, texting him back.

  Me: Lol hey Jules. :)

  Jules: what are u up to?

  Me: watching my friend Rhianne dance her ♥ out lol. what about you?

  Jules: texting u and listening to music w. my sis. :)

  Me: ayeee turn up! :D lol jk. anyways when are we going to meet up? I want to see your pretty ass again. xD

  Jules: idk. i have 2 take my sister 2 that Big Batty Princess shit tomorrow. maybe tomorrow?

  Me: oh shit! me & Rhianne are going too.

  Jules: iight cool. we'll see each other then. btw, are u in it?

  Me: hell naw, lol. why?

  I waited for his response, but I never got one after that. I guess he was busy on his side of town. Eventually he'll reply, so I didn't have a need to get mad. All that mattered was that I was going to Spanish Town, whether my father liked it or not.

  "Your cheeks are red, Nami!" Rhianne exclaimed, cutting off the music and putting on a shirt. She plopped on the bed, averting her eyes to my phone. "Who yuh a chat fi, gyal?"