Chapter 13

In which our heroine acts the governess

The next morning Corinna rose later than planned, consumed a breakfast substantial enough to satisfy a farmhand at harvest time, and donned one of Mother's sober-hued dresses that made her daughter look dowdy. Dowdy was exactly the effect her intrepid daughter wished to achieve, since she wanted to blend into the background. The simple dress was to be a shield made of drab linen printed with a busy leaf pattern in shades of ecru and taupe that did nothing for her complexion. A mob cap with a pleated frill completed the arrangement.

"Voilà. One mousy governess," she told her image in the blotchy mirror. Said governess then ensured her ill-begotten loot still hung safely in the fireplace, headed for Amanda's room and scratched on the panel.

When she received no response, she depressed the handle and slipped into a chamber much the size of her own, decorated in cheerful creams and pinks. And ruffles. Lots of ruffles, even on the four-poster bed too big for one small child.

The frilly curtain moved and a pale face smothered in dark curls peeped from the gap.

"Oh, it's you." Relief sounded in the girl's voice.

"Yes, it's me. We weren't officially introduced, and I wanted to remedy matters. I'm Miss Wolverstoke, your new governess. Are you feeling better?"

A shy smile stole into Amanda's elfin features. They were dominated by her luminous green eyes, framed with dark lashes. She was pretty already, and one day she would no doubt develop into a beauty. Given her name and the wealth of her family, such a female would normally be a highly eligible partie on the marriage mart.

If it wasn't for that business with the panther lurking in her soul.

"Yes, Miss Wolverstoke, very much so. It hardly hurts anymore."

Amanda slipped from her bed in a fluid movement that reminded Corinna of a cat and limped across the carpet until she stood right in front of her.

"Amanda, pray be careful. Your wound needs plenty of rest."

A sweet smile danced over the girl's features. "Yes, yes. I shall go back to bed presently. May I hug you? My old governess never knew what I am. She was ever such a rumor-monger. And I just know she would have screeched had she seen me like you did. She screeched when she only saw a mouse. Can you imagine?"

A painful warmth flooded Corinna's chest. The poor little thing. Here she was worrying about the girl's future, when her present was already fraught with danger.

Wordlessly, she opened her arms and pressed the hot little body to her chest. Was the girl's temperature higher than a normal human's? It was so with cats.

Amanda broke contact, and with big green eyes took in Corinna's appearance. "Pooh, why do you dress like that? You're beautiful like a princess. I so wish I was blonde. You should be wearing silks and jewels."

"Rather inappropriate for a governess, don't you think? As to colors, well, I gather panthers aren't ever blonde."

The girl broke into a peal of laughter. "I never thought of it that way. Pray tell me, why aren't you afraid?" The laughter faded away, and she hugged her knees under her muslin nightshirt. "Most people are afraid when they see my panther."

"I was, but not once I realized who you were. If you'd been a real panther—"

"I am a real panther," Amanda said hotly.

"Well, then. A panther who isn't also a little girl. If you were that, you might have eaten me."

The girl giggled. "You're too big to eat. You would have given me a tummy ache. Do not fret, I shan't ever eat you. I like biscuits and cocoa much better. But you must tell nobody, never ever."