Chapter 16

She swung her leg around and hopped off of Valkan's back.

"Rowan what are you doing? Get back on!" Seth shouted, his brown eyes wide with fear.

"It's okay, I need you to listen to me, okay?" she said, getting a horrible feeling of déjà vu. Valkan turned around and growled at her.

"It's okay, furface. Seth no matter what just stay on Valkan's. He's going to bring you somewhere safe" she explained, her voice sounding a lot calmer than she felt.

"O-Okay, b-but what about you? W-what are you gonna do?" he said, tears falling down his cheeks.

"I'm gonna buy you guys some time" she replied.

"Rowan, I'm not leaving you here!!" he protested. Valkan stomped his feet and lightly butted her with his head. His blue eyes shone with defiance at her plan.

"Valkan you have to go. You have to get Seth to safety" she said softly, resting her forehead against his. "Seth, just listen to me, okay? You have to go. If you stay here than you die too. At least this way you guys will be able to live"

"No! I won't let you sacrifice yourself for me!"

"Seth! I already failed Violet! I won't fail you too!". Seth looked at her, hurt shining in his eyes.

"You're a monster" he said, sniffling. She stood there shocked by his words. Suddenly, a snarl erupted from the woods just as multiple hyenas emerged from the forest.

"Go!" she shouted to Valkan. To her relief, Valkan listened and took off. She kept her eyes of the hyenas, but she heard Valkan's feet pounding up the slope, growing farther and farther away.

The hyenas approached slowly, knowing that victory in their grasps. Rowan spotted a large branch on the ground next to her and grabbed it. She held it like a club, ready to swing.

Tears threatened to overcome her as she faced the hyenas, but she pushed them down. As she stared into the hyenas vacant white eyes Seth's words rang through her head.

You're a monster

Monster

No! I fought so hard not to be a monster! How am I still a monster!?

Suddenly, One of the hyenas charged at her. It leapt at her with a snarl and she swung the large stick. The stick collided with the hyena in midair, knocking it sideways. However, just as the hyenas landed two more charged at her.

Monster

She flung the stick at one of them, but it grabbed it in its black jaws. It yanked the stick out of her hands just as the other one flung itself at her. She dodge aside and it flew by, only to land behind her.

Monster

More of the hyenas had closed in on her. She felt like she was suffocating in the dark.

Monster

The darkness resonated from somewhere deep down inside.

Monster

I t threatened to overtake her, and it was all she could do to keep it contained.

Monster

The hyena charged at her from behind and jumped on her back. She stumbled but managed to stay on her feet. She grabbed the hyena and flung it into one of the other hyenas in front of her.