Working with the grim one

Clover and Chili Pepper were walking down the halls. Clover was trying to focus on some work, meanwhile Chili Pepper had a lot of questions for him about school. "So is the food usually garbage, or is it actually good? Are the subjects actually interesting, or is it just pointless work? Are the teachers usually depressed? Are the cookies usually depressed? Are you depressed? Will I become depressed?" and so on. Then she asked "what class are we even in anyways?".

"Oh, magic class. We're basically learning magic spells. Once you get really good at it, there's a chance you'll graduate and become a wizard!" Clover explained. "Do you think I'd be a good wizard?" Chili Pepper giggled. "Well, not sure. I can't imagine what you'd look like with a pointy hat" Clover laughed it off. "I wanted to try out magic because it's interesting and looks pretty fun, but to be honest, I'm more interested in playing guitar and singing, I'm still practicing" he said. "Maybe you could hit me with a couple of tunes after class" Chili Pepper said, interested. "Yeah, maybe" Clover smiled.

As they sat down, Ms. Latte had something to announce. "Alright everyone, I have decided to put you all with a partner for future assignments" she said. As she started calling out the partners, Chili Pepper whispered to Clover "I hope we get to be partners". Clover nodded in agreement. "If we're partners, we'll be the best of the best" Clover whispered back. "Yep, we'll be unstoppable" but just as Chili Pepper said that, Ms. Latte announced "Clover with Licorice and Chili Pepper is with Rye". The two looked at each other in silence. "Welp, bummer. You gotta work with Emo Boy" Chili Pepper sighed. "But hey, maybe this Rye cookie won't be so bad".

"Alright, everyone go to your partners and sit next to them, please. These seats will be where you sit from now on" Ms. Latte said. Clover pulled up a chair and sat down with Licorice. Licorice didn't seem pleased, but Clover put on a smile to show he had no bad intentions. Ms. Latte gave each partner a sheet with an objective on it. Clover and Licorice's objective was: summon a creature(s). Clover stared at Licorice as he was examining the piece of paper. Clover, breaking the ice asked "So, who's house do you wanna work at?" Licorice slowly looked at him. His cold stare gave Clover the chills, but he still kept his cool. "my place good?" he quietly asked. "Of course! Yes, let's work at your place, that sounds great!" Clover jumped.

The walk to Licorice's house was very... quiet. Clover wanted to say something to him, but everything he thought of saying to him felt like a ticket to death, or at least embarrassment. When they arrived, Clover wiped out his wand "So, how are we gonna—" Licorice cut him off. "take a seat" he said, pointing to a couch. "uh... okay" Clover sat down, nervously. He watched Licorice as he went into a mysterious room. What's he doing...? Clover thought. Clover thought Licorice was gonna do something bad to him. He was probably getting a weapon to kill him, or something to drug him, so he can torture him as much as he wishes. Clover started sweating, and it felt like his heart sank into his stomach. When Licorice came out, he had a scythe that looked way too heavy for him to hold. Clover panicked. What's he gonna do with that!? he thought, contemplating his life. Licorice rested the scythe on the corner of the wall, took a piece of chalk and drew a pentagram on the floor. Clover stopped panicking, and started watching this, interested. Licorice then picked up the scythe and slammed it on the pentagram. Clover watched as it glowed and glowed, and then squinted his eyes to see three things on it, but those things weren't clear to identify yet. Meanwhile in the process, Licorice was laughing a wicked laugh, and then, once the glow cleared out, stood three, short and stubby licorice servants.

Clover gazed at them, amazed. Licorice cleared his throat after all that laughter. "Alright, my servants, I order you to fetch me and my... partner a drink of soda" Licorice commanded. The licorice servants, obeying his orders, got straight to it, running into the kitchen. Clover stared at them in amazement as they came in with the soda. "Wow! They're so... a-amazing, and so CUTE!" Clover jumped up and down in excitement. "Cute? CUTE!? They're not cute! They're my villainess and wicked licorice servants! They are in no way CUTE!" Licorice snapped, then looked down at his licorice servants and then added "no offense".

Clover watched as he patted their heads. "How'd you even do that? That was amazing!" Clover asked, excited. Licorice froze in place, like he was terrified. "Like, you didn't even use a wand or anything, you just did it with... that thing..." he continued, then stared at the scythe. "Why do you have that thing, and how do you even use it, let only hold it? It looks heavy" he asked. "Th-That's none of your business" Licorice said, snatching the scythe and holding it over his shoulder. "...kinda rude" Clover mumbled, sadly. "Anyways, we're done, woo, yay, now get out" Licorice pointed to the door. "What? I haven't even been here for that long!" Clover exclaimed. "You've been here long enough, now out" Licorice demanded. "But why? What did I do? Why don't you like me!?" Clover exclaimed. "I don't like anyone, and no one likes me" Licorice said. "B-But, I kinda like you, I think you're kinda cool!" Clover shouted. Licorice gave him that cold stare again.

"You're lying" he said. "No, no I'm—" just then, a sound of someone coming downstairs caught their attention. A tall cookie with black hair and a scarred eye came to see what was going on. "Can you guys keep it down? I'm trying to get some work done" he mumbled. "Our bad" Licorice apologized. The cookie nodded and went back upstairs. "Who was that?" Clover asked. "My big brother, Dark Choco cookie. He's pretty 'fun'" Licorice said, making quotations with his fingers. "Do you have any more siblings?" Clover asked. "Yes, actually, I have many siblings in this house". Licorice said. Clover's eyes lit up "Oooh! Can I meet them?" he boomed. "Uhh, no, they're not important, now out you go" Licorice said, rushing to the door and opening it for Clover. Just then, the sound of someone coming down the stairs caught their attention again. This time, a cookie with red hair and two buns stood before them.

"Who is that? A visitor?" she asked, pointing at the confused boy. "He's just my partner, Pomegranate, but he was just leaving, so nothing to see here—" he got cut off. "Well then, we should properly introduce him around the house. You are?" she stuck her hand out Clover, signaling that she wanted his name.

"Clover Cookie, ma'am" Clover said. "Well, Clover Cookie. Let me take you upstairs" she grinned, taking his hand and going upstairs. "No, wait! UGH!" Licorice grumbled, running upstairs after them. She sat him down on a chair in her room and offered him tea. Licorice stumbled in as Clover started sipping the tea. "So, Licorice, this is your partner?" Pomegranate asked, turning to him. "Yea, so??" Licorice grumbled. "For a... non-dark one, he's actually pretty... a little bit... okay" Pomegranate doesn't like to compliment people, so an 'okay' is as good as you're gonna get from her. A non-dark one? What does that even mean? Clover pondered. "Don't care what you think about him, he needs to go home, we're done here!" Licorice's face was all red from anger. "It would've been nice to give our little visitor a look around just to be a little bit polite, but very well. Have it your way, Licorice Cookie" Pomegranate shrugged.

As they let him out the house, Licorice studied Clover for a moment, making sure he wouldn't try coming back in for whatever reason, then said "just know I will not find any enjoyment in these 'group projects', and don't think I'm okay with you ta...

As they let him out the house, Licorice studied Clover for a moment, making sure he wouldn't try coming back in for whatever reason, then said "just know I will not find any enjoyment in these 'group projects', and don't think I'm okay with you talking with my dumb siblings. Just know you are not permitted to look around this house" he then closed the door on him. Clover sighed and walked home, all alone. He knew Licorice was hiding something, but he didn't know what. Behind the closed door of Licorice's house, you could hear him sigh "I won't be able to keep this a secret from him for long, no matter how fast I try to kick him out before he asks any questions, will I?"