The truth about Licorice Cookie

Clover felt nervous to work with Licorice the next day. After attempting to read the things in his diary, he was surely very upset with him. The walk to his house felt quieter than ever. Clover stared at the back of Licorice's head almost the whole walk. He desperately wanted to say something to him, but he couldn't push out the words. Clover inhaled as he was finally about to say something, but Licorice said "don't even bother trying to say sorry. Look, I'm not mad, but I'm still not happy about the fact you looked into my private stuff" Clover exhaled, now having nothing to say. "I'm still sorry..." he mumbled. Licorice sighed, and kept quiet the whole walk.

When they finally got inside, there on the couch sat an elderly woman and a small child with light purple hair. The woman was brushing the child's hair. "Mom... I'm home..." Licorice mumbled. She didn't respond, despite hearing him. "Mom, I'm home" Licorice said louder. She finally turned to him. "Oh, Licorice. Welcome home, now what do you want from me?" She snarled. Goodness, she sounds nasty... Clover thought. She then glared at him. "Who is this? I told you we don't welcome guests" she snarled. "This is Clover, he's my partner... for a magic assignment..." Licorice mumbled. "Mhm... also speak louder, you mumble too much! Gosh, why can't you be more like your sister? She never mumbles while speaking with her mother" she rolled her eyes. "Yes ma'am" Licorice said. "Now get out of my sight, and take your partner with you, I could care less about your impractical assignment" she scoffed, continuing to brush the child's hair.

Man, his mom is... terrible... Clover thought. As Licorice led him up to his room, he instructed Clover to not move until he was done "cleaning up" stuff in his room. Clover waited and waited. All he could hear was ruckus going on in his room. "Why hello, Clover Cookie" a voice behind him greeted. He turned to see it was Pomegranate. "Pomegranate Cookie, h-hello" Clover smiled. "I see Licorice isn't accompanying you at the moment, would you care for a cup of tea and a chat?" She offered. "Oh, uh, that's very nice of you, but Licorice told me not to move from this spot" Clover said. "Oh c'mon, Licorice is a... tedious cookie. You don't have to listen to him. Besides, I've seen how rude he was to you. Are you really going to listen to someone who treated you wrongly?" Pomegranate smiled a little. Clover thought about it. Licorice did treat him bad, so he agreed to disobey Licorice's instructions.

She poured some nice steaming tea and sat him down on a comfy chair. "I apologize for my brother. He doesn't exactly know how to control his anger. He lets it get out of hand sometimes" she said, stirring her tea. "It's fine, I'm sorta used to it, but since you're his sister, do you know why he's so angry all the time?" Clover asked. Pomegranate slowly sipped her tea, then explained "well, at a young age, he always dreamed of being a wizard... but, due to the lack of attention, he turned into a... how should I put this... a bastard" Clover's eyes widened. "He... never got any attention? But why?" He asked. "Well, I guess his efforts weren't good enough" she shrugged. "Honestly I dunno why he still tries, I mean, a person like him will never graduate" she continued sipping her tea.

"Well, his magic is pretty good right now, he might be able to make it" Clover said, smiling. Pomegranate giggled a mischievous giggle. "Oh poor you. You don't understand, do you?" She smiled. Clover was confused. "Understand what exactly?" He asked. "Even if he was the master of magic, he'll never graduate either way, and you know why?" She leaned closer to Clover. "Uh... because his power is too... great?" He shrugged. "Because, he uses forbidden dark magic! Don't you see? Those magic assignments he does for you, and how he does it so fast. He uses the forbidden dark arts! In other words... you're working with a cheater" she grinned. Clover couldn't believe what he was hearing, he almost spit out his tea. "He... what...?" He stammered. "May I say it slower? You're... working... with... a... cheater" Pomegranate tried not to laugh.

"But I don't understand! Why would he do that?" Clover exclaimed

"But I don't understand! Why would he do that?" Clover exclaimed. "The anger took over him. His lust for attention made him do crazy things" Pomegranate poured herself another cup of tea. "I... no... but..." Clover couldn't make out the words. "I'm sorry you had to find out this way. Oh silly me, it seems I've forgotten. I wasn't supposed to share this information with you... non-dark ones" she sipped her tea. "'Non-dark ones'? What are you talking about, I don't understand. What does that mean?" Clover held his head, trying to process everything Pomegranate was saying to him. "It means 'none of your business'!" Shouted a voice. It was Licorice, who happened to hear a lot of their conversation.

"You didn't listen to my directions, but I mostly blame myself. How could I expect an ignorant cookie like you to listen to anything I say!?" Licorice shouted. Clover covered his ears, trying not to cry. "You're scaring the poor boy, no wonder he didn't listen to you. I mean, who would listen to someone as pathetic, impertinent, and obnoxious as you?" Pomegranate stirred her tea. "A horrible cheater like you will never get anywhere in life"

"Shut up..." Licorice mumbled. Pomegranate turned to Licorice in disbelief. "Excuse me? You did not just say what I think you said, did you?" She asked. Licorice went silent. "That's what I thought. See what I mean by impertinent?" Pomegranate calmly sipped her tea. Licorice started sniffling. "Oh no, don't tell me you're really going to cry. For a 'tough boy' your age, you shouldn't even be bothered. Honestly Licorice, grow up" she sat down her cup.

Licorice walked out the door with his head down. Clover stood up. "I'll erm... be going now" he said. "So soon? Oh well, it was nice talking to you, Clover Cookie. Farewell" she waved. Clover stepped in Licorice's room. He was holding back tears. "Licorice...?" Clover walked closer to him. "Well, I tried to hide it from you. Even when I stopped you from reading that one page in my diary, I still failed to keep you from finding out... go ahead, leave and tell everyone I'm a cheater..." he mumbled. Clover sighed. "I won't tell anyone a thing" he said and then took out his wand. "I'll do the magic this time. Just relax, okay? You've done enough"

Licorice flushed. He was confused, but he was also grateful, so he let him do his thing. That was the day the two of them grew a little bit closer.