Four

word count: 416

~~~~

Remus smiled softly, watching as Roman and Janus got into a quiet conversation. He had missed his brother, he had wanted to invite him to his engagement party and ask him to be his best man, but he let himself get caught up in what-ifs.

'What if he's still with Jack and he brings him? What if he's turned into someone like Jack? What if you're strangers now? What if he doesn't care for you anymore? What if he still hates you? What if he doesn't want anything to do with you anymore?'

With the stress of wedding planning combined with his fears, he opted out of asking Roman and asked Virgil to be his best man by default, which the anxious man knew of. He was secretly hoping the twins would make up so the honor could be passed back to Roman since Virgil would stress too much.

Remus refused to talk to Roman on his own, for good reason; but he still felt horrible about cutting him out entirely. Growing up, Roman was his other half, his best friend from day one. Even when they got slightly annoyed with each other, their fights never lasted very long. They'd be back to normal within a few hours.

He thought he was only taking Roman out of his life, but he actually took himself out of Roman's life as well. Despite his posting streak in college, Roman stopped posting so much of his life online, leaving Remus barely anything to count on. His family, annoyed by his stubbornness, refused to tell him anything about Roman's life so he resorted to asking Patton about him at the engagement party, trying to make it as casual as possible.

Patton smiled sadly. "He works as a film teacher at a high school up in Virginia; he lives with his boyfriend."

Remus furrowed his eyebrows in worry. "Is his boyfriend a good guy? Have you met him? What's he like?"

Patton placed a hand on his shoulder. "His name is Janus and you can meet him for yourself. You need to talk to Roman."

Remus quickly shook his head. "I can't. He probably still hates me, I could never-"

"He doesn't hate you; he never has. He's just as scared of the past as you are, he wants to talk to you again. You just have to reach out first."

Remus didn't really reach out first, Patton and Virgil forced him to, but he was glad they did. Now, he could get started on fixing his relationship with his brother.