What You Mean To Me/ Before The Dance

Riff pov

Once I see her walk away I head over to Tony. I gotta convince him to come to the dance. I wanna introduce him to Lucia. Wow. Such a beautiful name that fits perfectly for a girl of such beauty. Once I near the shop, I enter, not even lookin' at the old witch. I head down and find Tony stacking cans in boxes. ''Hiya pal!'' I say stopping at the bottom of the stairs. Tony looks up, happy to see his 'brother'.

''Hey Riff. What'cha want?'' He says putting down the clip board.

''Wanna go to the dance tonight?'' Tony's face fell.

''No, Riff.'' I toss one of the cans toward him and he catches it, puttin' it away in another box. ''Can.''

''Come on. Just for an hour, only a little hour. You used to like dancing. No monkeyshines.''

''Come on, Riff, can.'' I bend down and pick one up, swiping the dust off the top

''Christ Almighty. You know there's dust on everything. You know ever since-'' I stop his hand from grabbing the can with my own hand. ''Hey, I swear on what's holy, it is just girls, sipping punch, and music-''

''And the Sharks.''

''And the spics.''

''And a rumble.''

''And all you gotta do-''

''You're on your own pal-o-mine.''

''-is help me haggle over the terms of the rumble.''

''You don't need me helping ya screw up your life.''

''You know how I get. I will start runnin' my mouth. You- you got command. You are West Side legendary!! And, Tony- Tony, I wanna have you meet someone.'' Once I say that, his head spins around like it's gonna fall off.

''Better not be the Jets.''

''It's a girl.''

''A girl! What about Gratzie?''

''We broke it off two months ago. She was interested in someone else.''

''What's her name?''

''Lucia.'' Once I say her name, Tony's body snaps toward me.

''A PR? I thought you were against the Peurto Ricans.''

''I know, I know. But there's something different about her. She told me down. She stood up to me. No girl has ever done that. Not one.''

''Anything else about this girl?''

''She's the sister to the leader of the Sharks. Bernaro's sister.''

''Oh my God. Riff!''

''Please, I really want you to meet her.''

''No, it's going to cause problems. Problems I am not gonna be part of.'' He says getting back to his boxes.

''Come on, she's special. I really like her.'' I say, moving Tony to face me.

''Maybe. But.''

''But?''

''No Jets.''

''Tony, I gave 'em my word you'd show.''

''Why would you do that?''

''Because... Because we're really pushin' for a rumble! We need you if we're going to war. You can't refuse us now. And because I know you. Or I thought I did. Before you got all unlike yourself. Before you went upstate.'' That's when the old witch upstairs opened the door.

''Tony? ¡Muévete!''

''Comin'!''

''It's like you're still in prison and the old witch is the warden.''