VI

"For the last time, Foolish, I am not going with you to the... Shit Fucking Salty Hot Tubs."

"Eret, pleeeease? It'll be fun!"

"No."

Eret's deep voice echoed through the chamber. The room they were in was all stone brick, but fluorescent lanterns lit up the center and created a warm barrier. Maps and cartography tools lined the walls while boxes of artifacts occupying corners. Eret and Foolish leaned over a circular stone table, using quills and markers to pinpoint locations on a wide, hand-drawn map. Snacks were spread across the side of the table, along with endless piles of books on mythology and magical history. Red ink dotted clear thread as they tied it along the markers, tracing a path along the length of the map. Eret had an open book in their hand, scanning the pages with a single finger before flipping it again. Foolish was bent over the map and was poking a location with his quill.

"I've been there. It was so fun! Everything was so warm and... salty."

"I seriously wonder why. But why is it 'Shit Fucking'? Why's it so profane?"

"It adds emphasis."

"To the hate it gives."

"No."

With a sigh, Eret crossed out a group of earthly-looking springs in the corner of the map.

"HEY! WHY?"

"Why not?"

Eret chuckled as Foolish berated them, desperately trying to erase the giant red X on the map. They popped a fresh bar of chocolate into their mouth as they watched the shark-god groan in despair and defeat. 

The two had been planning a route for their journey, marking stops and exploration places with red ink. Anywhere could hold an answer to the past, and there was no way in the Nether Eret was going to miss it. For hours, they sifted through books and scrolls in a feeble attempt to find any sign of Eret's godly ancestor. But as always, their research led to failure. 

Even so, they cycle couldn't continue. So they had to find a way.

Suddenly, a knock on the door was heard.

Their heads perked up at the spruce door as they looked back to each other. "Come in," Eret said.

The door swung open slowly. A man with regal clothes and weapons stepped into the room. He had ankle combat boots tucked over a pair of dark blue baggy sweats. His brown top covered only his pectorals, revealing his strong abdomen ("Show off," Foolish had muttered). Threads covering his top were adorned with blue jewels and a dark blue shawl covered his shoulder. He picked at fingerless gloves, a dark blue hood pulled over his head. A jeweled dagger rested at his side, the hilt glinting out from under a beautifully embroidered waist shawl. His eyes were soft and thoughtful, yet piercing to the gaze. His chocolate-brown hair looked like it was weaved from the finest thread. His skin was as bronze as a sunset. He offered a small smile to Eret and Foolish.

"Hello, your majesty," he said. His voice was soft and smooth, but deep enough so it didn't seem vulnerable.

"General Armani. It's a pleasure to see you," Eret responded, smirking back. "I take it the expedition went well?"

"Quite indeed. Although we didn't get all that we could, we got plenty of resources to sustain the village folk. They'll be pleased to know that they're getting another shipment of goods." He focused his gaze onto Foolish, looking him up and down with distaste. "And who's this, sovereign?"

Eret looked between the two before taking a breath and pressing their hands together. "Armani, this is Foolish, my best friend."

"Is he so?"