X

"Why is he so damn HEAVY?"

Eret and Emiror struggled to carry Foolish down the mountain. He was passed out cold on a steep slope, and none of them knew what lay beyond the mist at the base of the rock below. Whether it be more haunted forest or a beautiful land, all they wanted to do was get off the mountain.

Eret lugged Foolish over their shoulders as they braced and slid down the mountain. Sure, they're moment as they slaughtered the trolls was badass, but now concerned filled their thoughts. What if Foolish was in trouble? What if he overexerted himself and is on the verge of death? 

He's fine. He's a demigod. He'll survive, Eret convinced themself as they jumped a few rocks down. Even if they told themself he was fine, it was still terrifying to think his best friend was in trouble.

"So what's the game plan?" they asked Emiror, attempting to distract themself.

"Well, once we reach the foot, we'll just have to walk a bit. My village isn't that far, I'm sure. If I reach our well, we can get in easily."

"Your well?"

"Yes. Us fairies favor to conceal our civilization, so we usually hide the entrance to our villages in magical access points."

"It sounds like it comes straight out of a storybook."

"Good. That's how it's intended to be."

A few moments of hiking and conversation later, the three reached the bottom of the mountain. The mist was thinner and the forest looked less threatening. Sunlight peeked through the trees, illuminating everything in an eerie yet friendly warmth. The sound of wildlife was much kinder, the growls of creatures barely frightening. The air smelled like wildflowers and mist, the complete opposite of the dark, carcass smelling area of the other woods. And the best part, no mountain trolls. It was pure bliss.

"Why is it so different on this side of the mountain?" Eret asked with awe and appreciation.

"The other side of the mountain was usually populated with the secluded folk, like trolls and evokers. The trees were much more shaded and sunlight only reached the area during sundown. It was the best place for little night-dwellers like them."

"Did you guys ever get along?"

"We never interacted much. We'd cross paths sometimes at the creek, but we mostly ignored each other. Then Foedus couldn't find a woman who'd love him so he ventured over to this side of the mountain and kidnapped an innocent fairies princess." She groaned and threw down Foolish's small sack, which she took to avoid carrying the god himself. "Little did he know I would learn a lot of things in that castle, and one of those things was survival and escape tactics."

Eret hummed in agreement as they propped Foolish up against a tree trunk. They held their hand in front of his face, the tension in their heart slowly fading as they felt a faint breath. Looking through their sacks, they found a canteen of water and uncorked it, waterfalling it slowly into Foolish's slack mouth. Water dripped slowly from his lips as Eret took a sip next. 

With a final gulp, they asked, "Shall we stay here for a bit before continuing? The well's decently close, right?"

"Pretty sure," responded Emiror. "I don't remember the well being particularly far, but it wasn't too close. We'll have to take a walk to get there."

"Right."

"And what about him," she said, gesturing to Foolish, "will he wake up soon?"

"He probably just needs a recharge," they said, though quite uneasily. "He just used too much energy to go god-mode, and he was already weak before that being knocked out and all that jazz."