XIII

They didn't know how long they've been sitting on this log. They're hands caressed the indents of the decaying bark, occasionally grazing over patches of moss. They stared, blank eyes piercing the lone darkness. They felt as their breathing gradually eased and their thoughts grounded themselves. The heartbeat that sounded like war drums only moments before was reduced to an aching tap. The throat that had been parched with stress and thirst was only now being revived with every gulp. The shaking in their hands reduced to a mere tremor.

Eret shook their head, swiping at their eyes with the back of their hand. They felt as something salty passed over their mouth. Only then had they realized they'd been crying.

It was a terrifying few minutes that they stormed out of the palace, sprinting in case everyone was on their heels. When they finally settled on the log, they were surprised to find that nobody had followed them. They found escape in the forest that surrounded the kingdom like a blanket. Now the trees were becoming their blanket, comforting yet suffocating. Though the suffocating part was probably just them.

They're head was finally beginning to process everything again. They took in the chirp of the night birds, the howls of the wolves. The night sky that twinkled above them looked down with pity. The trees seemed to lean into them, protecting them. The air was sharp against their nose as they steadied their breaths.

They placed their head in their hands, twisting wine-stained fingers into their curls. The smell of meat and alcohol radiated off of their clothes in waves. If they didn't get out of there soon, the tranquility they found in the forest would soon turn on them. They began to stand, but soon regretted it as their legs folded beneath them.

What had even happened? Their friends were only concerned for them. They wanted to help Eret out of the mess that littered their days. They wanted to give them comfort and love so they would feel safe. Safe from the god and the mysteries that surrounded them. They wanted nothing more than to be there for them.

But they'd pushed them all away. They'd panicked, stormed out of the thank-you dinner that solidified their relationship as friends. Did they even deserve thanks then? It was rude, it was an outburst of emotion a king could've kept under control. A good king.

A king that couldn't even remember the name of their kingdom.

Before they could spiral into another panic, a stick snapped from behind the trees. Eret rose their head, too tired to snap it up in surprise.

"Foolish, I'm sorry I stormed out. But you have no reason to come looking for me."

"Foolish? Is that meant to be an insult?" said the figure. At least, that's what Eret hoped it was, because now they were as alert as a fox.

"What the fuck?" they muttered, their legs not failing this time. Their hand clutched instinctively around the crystal. At this point, anything could happen if they wished hard enough.

"No need to panic, I don't mean any harm."

Eret wanted to run as the figure stepped out of the shadows. The silhouette of the figure, which they could now see was a human, sauntered out of the woods. Black boots made small marks in the ground. He was draped with a forest green robe, along with a long black cloak over it. A black turtleneck peeked out from under the collar. The cloak dragged behind him, the end neatly tattered as if lined with feathers. Golden hair rustled and swayed underneath a striped bucket hat with every step he took. Eyes of aquamarine jewels pierced through the darkness of his clothes. A red heart pendant with strange indents rested on the center of his sternum, another bold contrast to the forest-like clothing he donned. 

Eret was stunned. He was no fairy, that was for sure. Something about him reminded them vaguely of a crow. Perhaps a raven, considering he was alone.

"You alright, mate?" asked the mystery man. He stayed a safe distance away from Eret, hands held behind his back. "You look distracted."