This time I'll be sweeter

It was September 20th. Hermione'd just turned 17 a day before, and experienced her first heartbreak the day after it.

No one really saw it coming, after all they didn't fight, they didn't argue, they were always holding hands and giving each other subtle touches. Whoever looked at them wouldn't think twice about them being in love or not, hearts always flew around them. One time literally from Hermione being so flustered she accidentally made paper hearts with a flick of her hand.

Now the bushy-haired girl could only sigh to herself. It was the 20th of September once again. Fall's just started to make itself present, leaves started turning orange, and the breeze were beginning to grow cold. Much like Hermione's heart every fall season.

Once the birthday craze subsided, she was once again faced with the reality that the only person she'd have ever loved left her.

She looked towards her table's calendar. "It's been a decade," she said to herself.

"What's been a decade?"

The woman looked to the door and a smile formed. "Harry!" she stood up to greet the man with a hug,

"How're you feeling," the boy queried once they pulled apart. He walked a bit towards Hermione's desk and placed a bundle of documents ontop of it.

"We just saw each other yesterday I'm feeling fine,"

"Yet you whisper it's been a decade to yourself and mope around."

Hermione let out an offended scoff, "I'm not moping Harry, it was just a moment of realization."

Silence came after that, they just stood next to each other as Hermione crossed her arms and Harry looked around the office at anything he could focus his eyes at.

"You miss her don't you—"

"No Harry I don't. Merlin, it's been 10 years and I've already moved on way earlier," the girl huffed. Pinching the bridge of her nose as she sat back in her chair, "Why did you come here anyway, your paperworks aren't mine to go through." She said as her eyes narrowed at the stacks of paper Harry set down earlier, she already had much to deal with.

"Oh yeah no don't worry about that, my arm just felt tired holding it. I actually came by to remind you about your meeting with wizards and witches from different countries, I've assigned aurors to facilitate their arrival and to make sure things go smoothly."

"You're such a bad liar you know that, you very well know I don't forget important events. I have it here written on my calendar."

The man choked a laugh, "I'm not lying, er— uhm." but he felt himself shrink under Hermione's stern glare.

He sighed. "Fine, but to be fair you also are aware that I go by here annually, just.. this is the first time we're actually thinking of the same thing, you're always busy the day after your birthday you don't even think about what day it is."

Hermione didn't answer, rather she just stared at the wood of her office desk looking as if her stare would cut it half.

After a while of more silence, Harry cleared his throat and moved to carry his stacks of paperwork once more. "I'm gonna go, but you're always free to swing by the house if you want, Ginny's there today with James." He offered with a kind smile.

"I'll think about it Harry, thank you."

————————

It was a week after. She'd just finished her last meeting of the day. Harry'd been there to escort a couple of the people she met, and to make sure no one would pull any funny business in front of the minister.