Lullaby

"Darling I'd wait, for you," Y/N sung in a whisper. The two of them cuddled up in a ball. Hermione had buried her face in the crook of Y/N's neck, sniffles and quiet whimpers coming from her every now and then. "Even if you didn't ask me to.."

Y/N was holding her protectively, one hand on her waist and the other rubbing circles on Hermione's back. "Tie a lasso, around the moon..."

"Y/N," The bushy-haired girl sobbed. The mentioned girl quick to press a kiss on her forehead, moving her hand to move strands of hair away from her girlfriend's face.

"And bring it on down, to you.." She gave another soft peck on the area between her brows, and another one to the tip of her nose. Hermione started crying a bit harder, her grip on Y/N's jacket not loosening. Y/N only hugged her tighter, her eyes looking at the cottage's ceiling, trying to keep her voice from wavering for she knew it'd only hurt Hermione even more.

"I'd bottle the feeling you give me." Y/N watched the candle flicker when a gentle breeze went by, "Shelve that stuff for years to come,"

She closed her eyes, running her fingers through Hermione's hair, trying to ignore how her heart was breaking at the way Hermione shook. Sobs muffled through cloth, choking on her own tears from trying to contain them.

"'Cause, baby when your arms are around me I swear that I'm holding the sun." She felt Hermione going restless, bothered sobs were all she could hear. It hurt her. "My love it's all going to be okay," she whispered against her hair, "I've got you, and I'm not going to let anything hurt you as long as I'm here. I'm not going anywhere,"

She opened her eyes to see Hermione had hers tightly closed, as if battling her nightmares. The former caressed Hermione's cheek, heart swelling when she saw how red and tear-stricken her eyes were. "I love you," she kissed her forehead once more, leaving her lips there for a while, "Take deep breaths my darling,"

Hermione gave a weak nod, following Y/N's slow breathing in, and slow breathing out. Y/N gave her a soft smile, "You're doing great love, keep doing that,". She felt Hermione slowly relax, but tears hadn't stopped cascading from her sullen eyes. Y/N held her chin and gave her lips a gentle peck, her thumb rubbing the skin after she pulled away.

"I'd give you the sun, if you asked me." Hermione moved to rest her forehead against Y/N's, desperately trying to feel that she's there, that she won't leave. "You could have all of the time,"

"You could have the stars, and the trees," Y/N leaned in 'til there noses were touching. Pressing her lips to Hermione's once more. "When dividing up the universe, you could have mine,"

The older Gryffindor was no longer sobbing. And Y/N took note of the way her chest was rising and falling more slowly, her expression less strained. The teardrops along her cheeks was starting to dry, leaving streaks of shed pain.

"You could have mine," she sung more quietly. The girl she was cradling already asleep. She smiled to herself, leaning in to rest her chin on the girl's head, her fingers tracing soothing shapes down her back.

She was tired, the both of them were. But Y/N promised herself she'd stay strong for the girl that was sound asleep in her arms. She couldn't afford to break, for the both of them would shatter if that were to happen. She didn't want Hermione to carry that burden, for she'd already been through enough.

Her terrifying encounter with Bellatrix at the Malfoy's Manor continued to haunt her nights. It would wake her up in cold sweat, screaming, kicking at pillows, trying to push whatever was suffocating her away. Y/N would jolt awake, try to calm her down, and sing her lullabies to help her get back to sleep. Like what happened just then,