Chapter 18 - Those Who Pursue

King Laverne, Essaerae and Sellion were still a ways from Jimëne. They'd found a smaller lake that was labeled Lake Ërfaren on Laverne's map. They took this opportunity to eat lunch. The remnants of autumn and winter still remained. Red and orange crunchy leaves were all over the forest floor.

Sellion and Essaerae sat on rocks next to the campfire Sellion built, relishing in the flavors of the food they'd just eaten. Laverne, after eating, undressed himself and announced he was going to bathe.

Essaerae poked Sellion's arm. "You could benefit from a bath, too."

"Ha ha, no." Essaerae thought she saw him shudder when he looked towards Lake Ërfaren. Essaerae covered her eyes when she got a glimpse of the back of naked Laverne. She turned red again. She'd gotten better at hiding it. Sellion then said, "Could I ask you something?"

"Hmm?"

"Why do you like him? I mean come on, he has little to no personality. Anything has more personality than him."

"He's got a lot of personality! Name one thing that has more personality than King Laverne." Essaerae put a spoonful of their meal into her mouth. Unlike the boys, she ate slower. Laverne ate quicker than he would at the dining table in the castle. Sellion always ate like it was the last meal he'd ever be given.

Sellion took in the surrounding area. Mostly trees, many rocks along the bank of the lake. Surveying the land, his mouth opens but nothing comes out. Then he said, "How about that rock?" He motioned his head down at an average sized, very smooth rock near his left foot. Essaerae glanced at him in disbelief.

Meanwhile Laverne waded in the lake at an ankle depth before crouching and swimming a bit deeper in. "If I could breathe underwater, you would never see me again." Essaerae and Sellion were too far to hear him speak. They only saw his mouth move as if he were talking to keep himself entertained. His hair floated on top of the water, trailing behind. The bottom of the lake where his feet tread as he swam into deeper water felt unusual. Wet rocks and weeds felt strange compared to dry rocks and weeds. It wasn't everyday he took a bath in Lake Adgränia, either.

He continued swimming deeper, his feet still touched the bottom far out. Something brushed against his foot that didn't feel like a rock, seaweed or a fish. It filled him with an overwhelming sense of dread and he ran back up on shore, yelling, "Something touched my foot!"

Laverne threw his naked self behind a tree a few feet from where Essaerae and Sellion were sitting. Sellion covered Essaerae's eyes so she didn't get any ideas. Essaerae didn't question what just happened. She knew. She stayed quiet, cheeks turning red. She hadn't seen anything thanks to Sellion. Sellion removed his hand when Laverne was out of sight.

"Well...I'm going to go bang my head on a tree trunk until that image is erased from my mind," Sellion said, getting up. Sometimes I can't believe he's the High King of Elven Guard.

Essaerae watched Sellion walk away, confused on what she should be doing now. Laverne figured two seconds in the water was good enough to call clean. "Will you bring me my finery, Sellion?"

"Well, Sellion walked away...but, uh, sure..." Essaerae picked up the neatly folded up garb from the rocks around their cooking fire. She turned away when handing him his outfit. Her face was still bright red. Laverne leaned against the tree, examining the underside of his foot when she shoved them in his face.

King Laverne emerged from behind the tree, fully dressed but barefoot. He wrung his hair out as he approached the campsite. "Where did Sellion go?" Essaerae kept her lips sealed, unknowing of where he did go. She hadn't paid attention long enough to actually witness what direction he sauntered off in. Laverne still let the thought linger of what that was that touched his foot.