Chapter 33 - Old Wounds

"What do you know about Elrichia, Sellion?" I subtly queried him.

"Not a whole lot," Sellion responded, searching the library of his mind. "It's small and tends to not leave impressions on those who visit." Sellion kicked up dust with his boots.

"Anything useful?" I lashed, unimpressed with Sellion's lack of knowledge. Sellion knew everything about everything. He was a walking encyclopedia. It was out of character to him to have such a lack of information on something thoroughly specific. "I am disappointed."

Sellion didn't take kindly to me looking down on him. He retaliated back with: "For the Gods' sake, I don't actually know everything!"

"Really? I would have guessed differently," I jested as I took long strides in front of them. "What would you do if you had learned everything there is to know in this world?"

"I'd probably be dead."

I only raised an eyebrow to him.

Sellion illustrated his answer for us, "There's no real point in living if there's nothing to learn in my opinion." I made a mental note of Sellion's thoughts on the topic and gave no vocal acknowledgement.

Essaerae quietly scoffed to herself as we walked the desolateness of Rúadhán. "I can tell you more about Elrichia than anyone, Your Majesty."

My face faded into something indicating that I was listening. I whispered to Sellion to take it as a learning opportunity. Sellion sneered at me, brandishing his yellowish-white teeth. 

"Elrichia only has about fifty elves living in it. It doesn't have any real exports as the people of the town don't have a singular skill of trade. They tend to trade mainly with the town in the mountains more than anyone else."

"Much more helpful than Sellion. Thank you." I made an effort to smile. I am sure I likely horrified her instead. 

Sellion scowled at me. I am pretty sure he was debating killing me in my sleep. 

"Oh, and they've always been at odds with the human town up north, Cowen," she added.

"That is...evident," I said, surveying the burnt trees that spanned the entirety between Elrichia's forest and the outskirts of Cowen. There were miles of nothing but the burnt remnants of something amazing. The forest was barren now. You could see Cowen over the rolling hills while there was nothing to block the view. I bet when this forest was green, someone would've considered seeing Cowen through the trees a blemish on the sight.

"What is the small forest surrounding the town called?" Sellion pried, gazing at the southern forest that was still green.

"If the small woods have a name, I never learned it." Essaerae's voice held much regret. 

We could see the small green woodland in the distance. All three of us knew it was where our destination hid. As we approached, it was likely Essaerae got a sinking feeling in her stomach. It was a different feeling than usual when anybody mentioned the name of her hometown. Being there after many long years was likely an unsettling sensation.

As we came closer to the woods, Essaerae stopped all movement. Sellion and I continued on, unnoticing. After a moment did I observe Essaerae and Adkin's lack of movement.

"Essaerae?" I called in a consoling tone.

Essaerae used a tree as a crutch before sliding her back down to the base as she sunk into a crouch. She buried her eyes in her hands and started whispering to herself, repeatedly. 

"I can't go back...I can't go back..."

"Essaerae?" I called her name again, keeping a close eye on her.