Chapter 1: The Soviet Railways 4-14-4 AA-20

Before we start, I would like to say that in America, Canada, and Britain, we use wheel configuration, but in Russia, they count the axels. As an example, Russians will call this design a 2-7-2, because of the axels.

This is the Soviet Railways 4-14-4 AA-20, arguably Russia's biggest Railroading flop. In this book, we'll 1st look into the locomotive(s) history and why it failed, so we can have an understanding of what needs fixing. Now then, enough yapping. Let's get right into this.

This huge locomotive was built in 1934, and was the biggest rigged frame steam locomotive in the world, till the Pennsylvanian Railroad T-1s were built. It was designed after the Union Pacific 4-12-2 9000 class. However, unlike it's American cousins, who were very successful, the AA-20 was doomed from the start.

For starters, it was too long for curves, switches, and turntables. The AA-20 often ripped the switches and curve rails out of the ground, often damaging both itself and the track, and it couldn't fit on turntables. It also ran on bad coal, meaning it's firebox was huge. This wouldn't be a problem, if the boiler was the right size. It was criminally too small. And it couldn't be fix, because the locomotive had yet another problem: it was waaaaaaaaay too heavy. It often made bridges collapse due to it's weight. It was also too powerful for the knuckle couplers of the time. The AA-20 was, and still is today, Russia's biggest Railroading flop.

In 1935, the AA-20 made a long, painful trip to Moscow for publicity, before being put in storage at the Shcherbinka test facility, most likely as an instructional tool, and finally, in 1960, it was secretly scrapped.

So, how do we fix this locomotive? Unestly, shrinking the steam locomotive would help. Not only will it make the engine lighter, but it'll fit on turntables and go around curves and switches without breaking the track. Then, this is where things split off. If the locomotive is light enough, then the boiler can be increased. But if it's still too heavy, then shrinking the firebox is your next bet. Otherwise, just give it a stronger coupler and she's ready to go.

Till next time.