Ezra

Warning: there is another dream/vision thing close to the beginning of the chapter

Of course. She leaves me to finish the battle. I don’t want to. Not because it’s painful, I’m just lazy. To be honest, I didn’t even know it was a battle for a long time. Lizz gave me a lot of crap for that. And  then I did the rain dance. Works like a charm.

Anyways, after Al yeeted Lizz down into the basement, the penquin (NOT a penguin) hit one of the feds out of the ballpark. The rest cleared out quickly after that, and the penquin did something horrible in this society, acceptable in the cheese nation, and ate a chile cheese dog without paying, but tipped 200%. Afterwards it left, and it took us a full day to clean everything up. Lizz wasn't there, she was still chatting it up with Will-the-missing-head. You’d be surprised with how much that head could talk. And no matter how many times he claims to be the 15th century playwright, he isn’t. I think it's the 15th century, somewhere around there.

When Lizz finally came back up, she looked spooked. Like, saw the ghost of her child that she murdered of her own accord and then threw the body in a blender and ate it kind of spooked. She had no wish to remember what she saw, so I put a DNA lock on this chapter so she can’t read it. So in order to tell you what happened we will have to heavily sedate her, extract the memory, and put it into print. I’ll get back to you when it’s done.

Well, we’re done. Actually, I totally understand why she was freaked out. I can’t imagine having to go through that firsthand. Even secondhand, I was ready to curl into a ball and cry. I almost don’t want to share it with you. Then again, If you’re reading this, you should be fine. As long as you are not watching this.     Okay, here goes.

A young boy crawled through the underbrush of a dark, jagged forest. He stumbled along the banks of a river. Crows and vultures circling overhead in a starless sky. He leaned down to take a drink, when a shadow shifted on the other side of the river. Quick as lightning, the boy threw a stone at the shadow. It hissed and writhed before scuttling away. A mountainous, dark giant with crooked fingers and a jagged sword lumbered near. With a sigh of relief, and a bit of terror, the boy widened his arms, ready. For it was Death that lumbered closer, and he had been awaiting this moment for years. Death raised it’s jagged sword and boomed, You are not worthy! The boy smiled sadly, and nodded. Death brought his sword down, and cleaved the child in half.

Okay. I’m done. That was awful. Especially looking back now and releasing just who it’s about. That more than anything gave me a different perspective on him.
On a lighter note, Nick was making grilled cheese, after Liz came upstairs. It’s turned into his go-to comfort food. For others at least. Al once said to comfort himself Nick would eat giant meat sticks. He ate like five pounds of meat the day Peg- I mean the shovel-who-must-not-be-named, betrayed him.

“Why am I always the one meeting Will? Why not Ezra?” Lizz complained sitting at the counter next to me. No, I did not blush when her hand brushed mine! Mind your own business!

“ There is a simple reason. The way your brains work. Ezra’s is built for complex factoring. He’s a tech guy. While you, Lizz, are more based on social queue. Ez has no concept of social hints, while you, while still being quite capable in the tech department, don’t have the right mindset to take on tasks such as building a 3D motherboard.”

“I understand social cues!”  I shouted indigentedly, standing up.
Lizz laughs, “okay, why don’t you and Nick have a conversation, see how socially adept you are?”  she asked with a raised eyebrow.

I grinned ready for the challenge. Yes Lizz, I know I was a stupid impulsive teen.

I walked over to Nick and smiled, “Hey Nick, how are you?”