Lizz

Of course Ezra tells about how we’re going on a trip and doesn't tell you any actual details. I swear you only advance a paragraph in the story with that idiot taking the reins.

So, John needed our help. Specifically, Ezra’s, Nick’s, Shelly’s, Sam’s, Jonclare’s, Jackson’s, Daniel’s, Erak’s, and my help. Obviously the field trip was going to go down in flames. Especially after what happened at lunch, having Nick and Ez together for an extended period of time. And there wouldn’t be Al to keep the peace.

So there we were, packing for a trip we didn’t know how long it would last. Well John and Nick were packing, Ez and I didn’t have anything to pack.
Al came into the kitchen where we were getting everything ready to actually go and handed Nick five shovels. Nick gave a half smile and slipped them into a bag he then swung it onto his shoulders.

“Can’t you come too?”

“We’ll be fine Nick,” John said, putting an arm around him. “It shouldn’t be for too long and everything is gonna be just fine.”

“He’s right, there's no need to worry. Plus, would you really trust Hannigan with everyone else?”

Nick sighs, “you’re right. But maybe I should stay here? You don’t really need me do you John?”

“Yes, yes I do. I need two capable adults on this trip and you and I are the only ones here.”

“Excuse me, I am plenty capable,” I say.

“Yes, but you’re also still under 20, which is the legal adult age, so,” John says, patting me on the back.

“Just so you know, I’ll still be eating pizza every Thursday night Nick.”

Nick laughs, “you can’t cook, Al, you’ll just burn it. But I will too.”

Hannigan comes in then and drags John out.

“Wonder what that was about?” Ez asks, sitting on the kitchen counter.

“Don’t know, but you should get off the counter,” Al replies.

Grumbling Ez gets off the counter and I stare in amazement. No matter how many times I told him not to do that, he always did.

“Okay, let's go!” John shouts, coming back into the kitchen.

Al wrapped Nick up in his arms and whispered something before stepping back. Later Ezra had said he swore Al said something about stars. Whatever he said though, it seemed to comfort Nick a little.

And then we were out the door and heading to a whole new world. And into John’s old self driving Mulldon. Okay, it wasn’t that old, maybe 10-15 years.
John and Nick were up front, me and Ez in the middle row, and the shovels and supplies in the back.

“Who wants car snacks?” John asks, holding up a bag of McNammian chips after about 45 minutes of driving.

I yanked the bag from his hand and ripped open the bag, they are just too good okay? Best potato chips ever!
Nick hefted a meat stick, “I got my own thanks.”

Ezra laughed at me and poked John's shoulder, “got anything for me?” A bag of cheese curds promptly hit Ezra in the jaw and it was my turn to laugh.

“I told you, I love every kind of cheese but this!” he complained.

Without turning around Nick expertly scooped up the bag with Shelly and brought the cheese curds to himself, “I’ll take them then  thanks.”

“Hey! You said you already had snacks!”

“Nothing goes together better than meat and cheese Ezra,” Nick says over his shoulder, ripping the bag open.