•PROLOGUE•

Madison, Wisconsin

"Nicole! Nicole!where's my cigarettes?" My stepfather shouted from downstairs.

I rolled my eyes. Smoking 2 pack of cigarettes a day ain't enough?! Let's add one more pack so that his soul would leave his body sooner. No matter how many times I told him it's unhealthy and dangerous he won't listen.

I'm adopted, but my foster parents got divorced last year and since then, my stepdad kept on smoking cigarettes non stop, he said it's better than drinking.

I jogged downstairs and went straight into the accent tables where I put the cigarettes previously and handed it to Dad, he's lying on his bed lazily after a rough day of work.

I dropped out of high school a few months ago, because I'm into party. Dad doesn't care anyway,He only provided me places to live, not places to comfort.

I went back to my room, I got a call from Jared.
Jared lived down the street, he's from Detroit but moved to Madison since his grandfather died in a car crash and his dad committed suicide. He lives with his drug addicts mom who tries to stay clean in order to protect her only son. His mom is actually Canadian,and when she's younger she's really alluring which resembles Jared, only he's a male.
Once Jared walk past, all girl's heads and attention turned at him in an instant, because, yes, he was attractive and extremely alluring. He had reddish brown hair and hazel eyes plus he's 6'2. He was 3 years older but who cares? It's not like we're dating anyway.

Eventually, my stepdad banned him from seeing me but it doesn't stop us, duh!

"Nicole, are you busy?" Jared asked me on the line.

"No, what's up?"

"Barbara, Dave and I are here. Come join us. It's gonna be fun!"

"Where?"

I heard Dave and Barbara laughing in the background.

"Our usual place. Come on! We have drinks and food, also fireplaces." Jared explained.

"Okay! I'll be there" I hung up the call.

I sneaked out of my residence and walked on the sidewalk, making my way out of my neighborhood. There's an abandoned basketball court where teenagers typically hang out to spend their time with their friends.

"Yo Nicole!" Jared greeted me excitedly once he spot me.

"Hey guys!" I greeted all of them affably.

"Nicole, it's been a long time." Barbara said to me with a smile.

"Yeah I know. Did your group home provide a comfortable places to live?" I ask

"Why would you want to be in a group home?" Barbara looked perplexed.

"Just asking. honestly.. I can't stand my stepdad. He's really abusive." I sighed exasperatedly.

"You told us that like a hundred times about it, Nicole. Why not running away?" Dave replied

"He'll use his belt to spank me. I'm tired of living with him, plus the house smell like a cigarettes"

"That's really bad" Barbara didn't know what else to say, but the look in her eye showed deep concern.

"Yeah."

"Guys, let's have a drink" Jared said as he handed each of us a liquor bottle.before we drank it, we tapped the bottle in unison and drank it.