Chapter 1

It all started 5 months ago. We were playing in our school's football finals. The game was 34 – 34 and it was the fourth quarter. Our team had the ball. I started running and our quarterback, Jack, threw me the ball mid jump. I caught it and ran. That's when I saw him watching me from the stands. He had messy brown hair and was wearing a pair of chunky dark framed glasses. He must have been at least 6 foot 1 and was super lanky. I faltered, tripped and landed face down on the field. That's how I broke 2 fingers, and how we lost the game. Stupid fucking Nerd Kid and his stupid fucking glasses. The light from them must have distracted me.

The next week I walked into class; I was still adjusting to the finger braces. I avoided Nerd Kid's glance as I took my seat next to Jack. Jack leans towards me and smacks me across the back of my head. "What the fuck was that Ryan? We should have won, and we would have, if you hadn't been fawning over some girl in the crowd." My ears turn pink. I look down at the table.

"Sorry man, I just wasn't paying attention."

"Well keep your dick in your pants next time." Jack replies. Then a teacher walks in, his eyes are bulging out of his head and his hair is as scraggly as his beard, which has bits of chocolate, or something else in it. His skin was pasty white, and he looked like he hadn't slept or eaten in years. He kept hungrily licking his lips as if he was craving something specific. He stumbled towards his desk and sat like a dog in his chair. The class stared at him like he was an alien from another planet. Jack leaned over and whispered in my ear "What's his deal? he looks like he is on drugs or something." He snickered. "He's probably gay. All gays are messed up." I nodded my head slowly, trying to hide my shame.

Suddenly the teacher started coughing and pulled a grubby Kleenex from his pocket. He started making a growling noise and pulled the Kleenex to his mouth. He puked into the Kleenex and rolled it up. I could see a moldy brown color in the center of the Kleenex. He yelled "Kobe!" and attempted to toss the Kleenex into the trash but missed and hit Nerd Kid smack in the face. He grinned maliciously, "Sorry kid, my mistake." he said in a crusty voice.

Nerd Kid raised his hand. "Could I.." he paused, and I could see him trying not to gag. "Could I please go to the washroom sir?"

"Enjoy yourself." the teacher replied, as his grin widened. Nerd kid could not get out of there fast enough. As he speed walked out of the classroom you could hear him whispering to himself. "It's not shit. It's not shit."

Jack laughed "What. A. NERD! He's probably gay too!" My ears reddened. From out in the hallway, you could still hear Nerd Kid talking to himself. "It's not shit, right?" Ten seconds later Nerd Kid yells "OH MY GOD IT'S FUCKING SHIT!"

The teacher stands up. "Hello students... I'm Mr. Radcliffe, and I'm hungry. I'll be in the toilets." He rasped, and he scampered on all fours out of the room.

Oh my god, I thought to myself, Mr. Radcliffe is going to murder Nerd Kid. I gotta check on him. I stood up and my chair fell back behind me. Jack looks up at me. "You good man?" I don't respond as I sprint out of the room.