Chapter 3 - Tony's Parties

"No."

"I have to go, so you have to go."

"There's gonna be alcohol."

"And no one's gonna let you drink it."

"I have homework."

"Tony gives you the homework. You'll be fine."

"I need to study."

"You literally memorized the entire book," Natasha scowled at the girl who laid on her bed. "Studying doesn't really apply."

"But-"

"No. You're going to a party."

"I thought the thing about teenagers was keeping them away from parties. Not forcing them to go."

"Well, you're not a normal teenager." Annabelle groaned, putting her face down onto her sheets. "Come on, Annabelle. It's Thor's last night."

"Fine," she sighed, getting up and getting ready to go downstairs.

"Um, where do you think you're going?"

"To the party."

"In that?" she asked of the sweatpants and oversized t-shirt.

"Nat-"

"Nope. Sit down." Annabelle sighed, listening and sitting back on her bed as she prepared for Natasha to dress her.

***

Annabelle watched the party going on around her from a mostly empty corner she had found. She nursed a sparkling cider that Tony had gotten just for her as she kept tabs on her friends and coworkers, seeing how relaxed most of them seemed to be.

"If I had known it was going to be a firefight, I absolutely would have called," Steve told Sam as they walked closer to her.

"No, no. I'm not actually sorry. I'm just trying to sound tough."

"That sounds like you," Annabelle said with a smile.

"There you are," Sam smiled, giving her a hug. "Looking nice, looking nice."

"Thanks," she said, slightly uncomfortable in the blue dress with polka dots on the top and ballet flats Natasha had forced her into. Her braid was done a bit more fancy with white flower barrettes wrapped throughout.

"Besides," Sam went back to his conversation with Steve, leaning against the wall next to Annabelle, "I'm very happy chasing cold leads on our missing persons case. Avenging is your world." He looked out over the party. "Your world is crazy."

"Be it ever so humble."

"I don't think that's the right word," Annabelle chuckled.

"You two find a place in Brooklyn yet?"

"I don't think I can afford a place in Brooklyn."

"Well, home is home, you know?"

"It's not too bad here. Nothing like just having an elevator ride to work," Annabelle pointed out. They eventually got pulled off into different directions with different people. Annabelle managed to slip away from conversations with random people and go to the window. She paid attention to the city lights flickering below, trying to block out the noise of the party as much as possible.

"What are you thinking about?" Thor asked, making her look up at him.

"Absolutely nothing," she admitted.

"And that's... enjoyable?"

"Beyond," she chuckled. "My mind is constantly racing, millions of things trying to get my attention. But when I look at views like this... It's like everything's frozen and I can just be."