Five

I wake up quicker than I ever thought I would to a loud rumble and banging as well as frustrated growling. I quickly make my way to Mei's room to see her fighting with herself. She falls to the floor and I rush over.

"Mei? Are you okay?" I ask, worried.

"Do I look okay!?" She yells angrily before poofing into the panda. "Ugh! Why!?" She puts her paws over her face in anger. "I'm sorry..."

"It's okay—" I'm cut off by a sudden knocking at the window.

"Mei, it's us." Miriam's voice sounds from outside.

"Crap, no!" Mei panics and hides in the corner of the room as I run to close the curtains completely. "Guys, what are you doing? Go away!"

"Are you okay? Tap if you can hear us." Priya says.
"One for yes, two for no!" Abby yells.

"We were so worried. We thought you died of embarrassment and Y/n left to plan your funeral!" Miriam says, concern very evident in her voice.

"Need more pads? I brought extra." Priya's muffled voice asks.

"Forget that. 4-Town's coming to Toronto!" Abby cheers excitedly.

Overwhelmed by sudden excitement, Meilin opens the curtains without thinking. "What!?" The three girls begin screaming and that's when Mei realizes she messed up. She screams with them and I scream at the sudden screams before Mei and I quickly try shushing them. Mei pulls them inside and muffles their screams with her fur.

"It's just me! It's okay! It's just me!"
"Be quiet, shh! It's Mei! It's fine!"

"Calm down, alright? I'm gonna let go and you're gonna be chill. Got that?" Mei says and the girls stop panicking, but look up at her in fear and nod. "Chill." Mei puts them down and they stare in awe.

"Mei?" Miriam mutters.
"Are you a werewolf?" Priya is quick to ask and I fail to hold in a snort.
"No! What?"
"She is a red panda!" Abby says excitedly.
"Sick." Says Priya.

"You're so fluffy! So fluffy!" Abby rubs her face in Mei's fur as Priya plays with her tail.
"I've always wanted a tail."

"Priya, Abby, quit it." Miriam orders and the girls leave her be. "Mei, Y/n, what the heck happened." They look between the two of us for some kind of explanation.

"It's just some, you know, inconvenient, uh, genetic thingy I got from my mom." Mei tries to explain. "I mean... it'll go away. Eventually. Maybe..." Mei begins to sob, sitting down in the corner as we are quick to try and console her. "I hate this! I'm slobby, I'm smelly. My mom won't even look at me, and now 4-Town? When are they coming?"

"May 18th. They just announced it." Abby says, stroking Mei's arm.

"The 18th!? There's no way this will be gone by then! Just go. Go become women without me!" Mei cries.

"Mei, it's gonna be okay." Miriam tries, holding Mei's face in her hands. Mei shakes her hands off.
(I only slightly ship them)

"No, it's not. I'm a freak... just... just leave me alone." Mei says softly, curling up in a ball in the center of the room, grabbing her stuffed pug and sobbing into it.

We all look between each other before Miriam begins beatboxing. We quickly catch on and Abby joins in on the beat boxing. I am quick to begin tapping my foot to the beat as Priya says, "Mmm. Yeah. Mmm. Let's go." We do that for a moment until Miriam gives the beatboxing role to Priya who does it a lot better and begins to sing.

"I never met nobody like you. Had friends and I've had buddies..."

"It's true." We say in unison.

"But they don't turn my tummy the way you do I've never met nobody like you."