Six

A whistle blows as our P.E. teacher shouts at us. "Eyes on the balls, guys!" We race to pick up a dodge ball playing a game of the same name.

Mei complains to the girls about the presentation from the night before. The girls also stated that their parents said no as well.

"I know my mom's worried, but sometimes she's just so... so..." Mei sighs.

"Wacko?" Miriam says as she points towards a car on the street that occupied a woman watching us with binoculars who looked suspiciously like Mom. Oh, wait. It is Mom. I roll my eyes and throw my ball, hitting a kid straight in the stomach and causing them to double over in pain.

The school security guard chases her and she speeds away. We hear obnoxious laughing coming from the other side of the court and turn back around to see Tyler and his little gang laughing at us.

"Little momma's girl!" Tyler laughs, squishing his hands in his face before cackling at us.

I look at Mei to see her cheeks turning red in embarrassment. "Oh, that's it." I growl, catching a ball out of the air with one hand, anger written on my face as I stalk towards the line. Tyler's laughs falter slightly and he takes a step back at the look on my face. I get ready to throw but before I can I hear a boom as a ball whizzes past me, breaking the sound barrier, right at Tyler.

He shrieks and ducks just in time as the ball whizzes over his head, burning his curls before crashing into the window of the music room. I look at the window with eyes the size of saucers, jaw to the floor. I turn around and see Mei, face red with rage. Tyler's face is much like mine except his holds terror rather than awe.

The coach blows his whistle. "Illegal throw! You're out, Lee!" He shouts, pointing at Mei.

The girls rush her off the court as she protests in rage. It takes me a moment to snap out of it as I rush after them, past a terrified Tyler and his goons. I stop and turn around, throwing my ball at the back of his curly-haired head as hard as I could. He yelps girlishly and I laugh.

"That's for my sister, doofus!" I call out, rushing after my friends once again.

"Hey!" Tyler's voice cracks as he yells after me but the door closes as I step inside the school, cutting off his flurry of angry ramblings. I follow the girls into the bathroom as they try to calm Mei down.

"Dude, keep it together." Priya advises.

"I can't! We need to see this concert. Why doesn't my mom get that? I never ask for anything!" Mei rambles. "My whole life I've been her perfect little Mei-Mei. Temple duties, grades-"

"Violin!" Abby cuts in, just as angry.

"Tap dancing." Priya holds up a fist.

"The injustice." I woe, hand on my forehead dramatically to ease her tension even a bit.

"Yeah! We've been so good. If they don't trust us anyway, then what's the point?" Mei throws her hands down.

"Wow. Who are you? I love it!" Miriam says with a grin.

"Fight the power!" Abby shouts energetically, fist in the air.

"Yeah. Yeah." Mei nods, pacing the bathroom. "This isn't just our first concert. This is our first step into womanhood." We grab hands. "And we have to do it together."

"I'm in, girl. We'll say it's a sleepover at my house." Miriam suggests with a grin.

Abby gasps in excitement, rubbing her hands together evilly. "The perfect crime!"

"Yes! My mom will never know." Mei grins.

"Okay, but how are we gonna afford the tickets?" I cut in.