Nine

It was the night of the blood moon and the family gathers at the temple. I tried my best to stay in my room and conceal the mark on my face but it's as if they really needed me to be out here for the ritual tonight. When they finally coaxed me out of my room, the place I'd spent most of my time since that night at Tyler's, the women gasped at the sight. I kept my eyes down, holding my arm nervously. I didn't want them to fear Mei. Meilin already couldn't look at me every time I came out of my room which was rare. I didn't want to make her feel worse about it.

But the family tried to reassure me with pitiful smiles and the woman... Grandma had a look of sympathy, tracing her fingers along her own scar.

But now we sit for dinner around a large circular table outside. Mom and Grandma are whispering to each other and Grandma seems agitated. They both look my way, surprised at me looking back before looking at each other. As Dad finishes placing everyone's food, Grandma speaks up.

"Before we begin, it seems my dear daughter has forgotten to explain a crucial part of the ritual to the crucial part of the ritual." Grandma harshly nudges Mom and Mom looks at me. Mei and I look back at her confused.

"O-oh, well. Well, Y/n... uhm..." Mom scrambles for words. But is cut off by Grandma's eye roll.

"Y/n, you know of your parent's unfortunate accident, yes?" Grandma asks me.

I look around at the table, all eyes on me. "Uh, well, I know the gist of it. Something about a car accident?" I shrug.

"Yes. Very unfortunate." Grandma looks down in mourning of a death that happened nearly 12 years ago. "Your parents were very close to our family. My daughters played with your biological mother when they were small." She smiles and Mom looks down in sadness. "Your parents had you and they were so happy. But life can change in the blink of an eye."

"Nobody should have survived the crash, but by some miracle, you escaped unscathed. But it wasn't just some miracle." Grandma smiled almost teasingly. "Our family and your family's histories go back centuries. You know of Sun Yee and her story, correct?" I nod. "Well there was a crucial part of the story lost to time, but not lost to truth. Sun Yee had a spouse along with her children. She was a woman named Yue. Yue pleaded to the gods to give her a gift to help control her wife's panda when Sun Yee would lose control. They sent Yue a spirit guide in the form of a blue deer that aided Yue to help her spouse control the panda even when it seemed dangerous and impossible."

It all snapped into place. The blue. The way I calmed Mei that night when it seemed impossible. It all makes sense.

"I see it's already happened. The spirit guide is with you and always has been since the moment you were born." Grandma says.

Suddenly a blue mist accumulated and formed the shape of a large mystical deer in the center of the courtyard. The table gasped in awe as the deer soundlessly pranced around the table before disappearing into my back and the mist that circled me formed antlers on my head before dissipating.

"Woah." I mutter, looking over at Mei who seemed just as in awe as I was.

But something was different. There was a buzzing almost where the gash in my cheek was. I placed a hand on the bandage until the buzzing stopped.

"What is it? Is something wrong, Y/n?" Mom asks in concern.

"Huh." I peel off the bandage, causing the people around the table to groan in disgust.

"It's gone..." Mei mutters, looking at my cheek.

I pick up a spoon and look at my warped reflection. It's true. The gash was gone leaving a thin scar, lighter than my skin tone. I set the spoon down as the table oohs.